I Forge Iron

my treadle hammer

Someone asked me to post pictures of my treadle hammer so here she is. It's awfully ugly so get ready. I only have one set of taper dies made from the top of RR rail, but they've worked well for 2 1/2 years now. It is a swing arm style.

It used to have a lead counterweight behind the hammer head pivot point. It worked rather sluggishly that way. I removed the counterweight, extended the hammer head arm behind the pivot point and put two trampoline springs there. That alteration MADE the hammer.

This is a swing arm style treadle hammer and since I purchased it from a second owner I do not know the hammer head weight. I want to sell this one sometime and build the inline, but I've got to wait and get some other projects behind me first. This one will do in the mean time.

DSC01655.jpg

DSC01658.jpg

DSC01657.jpg

DSC01656.jpg

FieryFurnace: Thanks so much for posting the picture. I was one of folks who wanted to see it. I bought a used one too and had to remodel it because the top was OUT from the anvil instead of in and you couldn't see what was going on when it started down. Could you tell me the distance between the hammer and the anvil?? I'm having a little hard time getting that right.. Thanks again, Eric Sprado

FieryFurnace: Thanks so much for posting the picture. I was one of folks who wanted to see it. I bought a used one too and had to remodel it because the top was OUT from the anvil instead of in and you couldn't see what was going on when it started down. Could you tell me the distance between the hammer and the anvil?? I'm having a little hard time getting that right.. Thanks again, Eric Sprado

Sure thing! I'll try to get that measurement tomorrow after church!

Hey Mr. Eric, I'm sooo soooo sorry I didn't get the measurement for you Sunday like I said! I hate when people don't come through on their word. I won't offer any excuse other than I just out and out forgot! So I am sorry!

With the rounding dies (made from RR rail,) are in they are 10 inches apart in the open position.

The flat plate that is on in the picture doesn't attach. I just let it sit up there. I REALLY need to do some work on the dies.