I Forge Iron

What is this used for

I got this at at a local auction. The auction had several blacksmith items. This was mounted on a large block of wood. I know it is for rounding or shaping either light metal, copper or tin. It is marked Dixon. The ball section is extremely hard. Any info is appreciated.
101_4611.jpg
101_4614.jpg

That is a cast iron silversmiths stake with a stake holder. It is not for use with iron hot or cold as it is too soft and the polish will be harmed by forging of forming on it. Dixon was a maker of silversmiths and jewelers tools. It is probably worth about $150 on ebay. It is a superb tool for planishing or forming copper, silver and other soft metals. You will need to bolt it down to a good solid bench to get the most out of it.

I have a 1959 Dixon catalog which I think has the same tools. Southshoresmith is correct. I just thought that I would add the catalog descriptions. It is listed as a [NEW!] stake. "Figure 312-7, No. 90 - For planishing small cups, dishes, ladles, and bowls, Domed Head 2½" diameter." I believe the other piece is listed as "No. 88 - Anvil Base. Height 4½", bottom 6" x 4"."

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

I have a 1959 Dixon catalog which I think has the same tools. Southshoresmith is correct. I just thought that I would add the catalog descriptions. It is listed as a [NEW!] stake. "Figure 312-7, No. 90 - For planishing small cups, dishes, ladles, and bowls, Domed Head 2½" diameter." I believe the other piece is listed as "No. 88 - Anvil Base. Height 4½", bottom 6" x 4"."

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools
Your description in in your catalog fit this perfectly. Thank you for the information. The base has 88 cast into it, along with the 3127 cast into the stake. I am not a blascksmith, but am very interested in the history of it. I consider the anvil one of man kinds most important tool ever developed. I have the up most respect for those that pound iron into devises for the betterment of mankind.