I Forge Iron

Kolshwa vs Peddinghaus

I am buying a new anvil and want your opinion on what to get. Nimba is another choice as are many others, clue me in. I work in the forge as much as I can and plan to build a business based on smithing. My current is a 135 lb Trenton. I really like the double-horn style...

I am buying a new anvil and want your opinion on what to get. Nimba is another choice as are many others, clue me in. I work in the forge as much as I can and plan to build a business based on smithing. My current is a 135 lb Trenton. I really like the double-horn style...

As a Kohlswa addict I am, I'd say go for Kohlswa (Sweden). They're good cast steel anvil with a hardness around 55 - 57 Rockwell. They come in a lot of shapes and sizes, even tot 700 pounds and more. Do mind, around the 80's the anvils they made weren't hardened or poorly, but now they're back to their standards.

But, you can never go wrong with a Peddinghaus (Germany) either. They're drop forged out of C45 (0.45 carbon) steel and hardened to 54 or 56 Rockwell, depending on what Peddinghaus maker it's made by : PDP or PFP, more versions are on the market.

Also Actually the best choice, I'd say, is Refflinghaus (Germany). They're Cast steel anvils with a guaranteed hardness of 59 Rockwell over an inch deep. They come in verious sizes and shapes too, even over 1000 lbs!!

I hope to obtain a neat Refflinghaus myself one day. But I'll stick to my Kohlswas.

I'd agree with Joe about the Refflinghaus, it does seem that they are the best on the market right now. They are a bit more expensive per pound than the others though I think.

I have a Nimba, and am very pleased with it.One thing I like about the Italian Renaissance pattern (Nimba) is the bick on it is so sturdy that it almost has the same rebound as the main face of the anvil.

Any well made new anvil is going to be amazing, you just have to pick one that you think you'll be happy with for the rest of your life.

If I were going to buy a NEW anvil to USE it would surely be a REFFLINGHAUS
I have a Nimba Gladiator--- 450 lbs
Vaughn brooks--- 560 lbs
Habbermann--- 500lbs
Euronavil-- 500 lbs
Ozark pattern by Tom Clark--- 260 lbs
2 Jymm Hoffman anvils.
All purchased new
and 35 other anvils of most every size and description.
The two that I use are REFFLINGHAUS anvils
One is 1245 lbs ( shop anvil )
and a 220 lb demo anvil
Both of these were purchased new from shady grove blacksmith shop ( the Refflinghaus dealer for the U.S )
There is a photo of both on his website showing the stands that I made for them.
Out of all of the anvils that I have ever owned or used I think that the Refflinghaus anvils are the best.