I Forge Iron

Power-pole insulator candleholders

I noticed in the gallery that some people have made candle holder out of the glass insulator cups that you find on powerpoles. I'm planning on trying to make some and wasn't sure how they closed the metal around the insulator cups. I'm afraid that if I do it cold it will shatter. On the other hand, will the hot metal melt the cups?

I have been using the insulators for candle holders a long time and can safely say they will break if a candle is allowed to burn down to close to the glass. Even incense will get them hot enough to pop. I use the same method as yesteryearforge to make the section to hold the insulator--usually in the groves in the glass where the wire was wrapped. The stock I use for most of the holders is scrounged from local cemetary dumpsters (easels for holding flowers)

A lighted candle will definitely cause the insulator to break. I don't do liability so I quit making them years ago. :) The method of turning the loop for holding the insulator is pretty simple for me on this and many other things like it. I have a thimble ( the part with the threaded end that the skeins on the wagon wheel rides on ) that works well. It is tapered. Similar to a cone mandrel. Adjust cold if you wish. Jerry's right. Even incense makes them crack. I have no knowledge of which candles do worse or better in this instance and I surely want nobodys dwelling to burn because of them. I have ( I think ) one of them around the house here with potporri in it ( Ma has a LOT of stuff like this ). YMMV. :) Merry Christmas

Thanks for the information. I figured that it would have to be worked cold but I was hoping that they would have been made to handle some heat. Good to know that a candle will break them. Wonder if it is because of the age and weathering creating cracks, or is the glass itself a problem?

@Tenhammers: If I'm thinking correctly, then I use a thimble for a makeshift mandrel too. Mine is still on the wooden axle solid so I can clamp it in the vice. One of these days I'll rig up a stand for it.