I Forge Iron

Door pulls

I made a few door pulls yesterday, I have a tool that I got from Brian Brazeal about 4 years ago. It is just a piece of round stock with a hole drilled through and then drifted square on one side, the drifted hole is 1/2 inch square and 7/8 inches deep and is tapered. So using 5/8 inch round stock I forge a taper, about 1 inch long, then cut off with about 1/2 inch parent stock, I do this just like a nail- cut almost though with the hot cut, then reheat and place in the tool and twist to remove bar. Flatten down, reheat and forge to hexagon, then chisel to separate petals and forge out from there.
I have some old wood sash windows that my brother salvaged from a job. We are going to make cabinets out of these to sell and maybe make a little money. I thought these door pulls will look good on them, I may make hinges as well if I have time
Here are a few pictures of the door pulls, the tool and one of my little helpers
post-10376-0-41538800-1302883266_thumb.jpost-10376-0-51029900-1302883272_thumb.jpost-10376-0-83470000-1302883284_thumb.jpost-10376-0-79421400-1302883290_thumb.jpost-10376-0-72101000-1302883278_thumb.j

Clinton,

Thanks for sharing how to make the door pull dye and the door pulls.
They are very attractive to the eye.
I enjoy seeing photos of everything “Blacksmith” which includes information about their family life also.

BUT, in addition to that: “Thanks for showing a photo of your dog”
There is just something positively special about a person’s DOG that is just hard to describe! :)
If my dog would have had hands and arms, I know that she would have been my striker, and without any complaints.

One reason I know that she wanted to help me was because when we went fishing, she would get into the water and drag my stringer of fish over to me as though she thought I had forgotten them.
And then she would get so excited about seeing a fish jumping at the end of my line, that she would try to run on top of the water to get the fish (as she sank).
Be it a good day or a bad day, your dog will always wag his tail for you, that is if he/she has one.

Thanks again for including us!
Ted Throckmorton

Thanks Ted that is Rusty he is our most recent rescue dog (we have 3 from the local shelters) he is all dog beats up on two larger dogs 4 x his weight.
And thank you Marksnagel for the mentalist
I made a few more door pulls today and took some photos to share with ya-all
post-10376-0-48145600-1302922487_thumb.jpost-10376-0-72993600-1302922493_thumb.jpost-10376-0-61500000-1302922505_thumb.jpost-10376-0-18574000-1302922512_thumb.j

post-10376-0-72078000-1302922499_thumb.j

Thanks Chad- I think one key point to note is that the taper does not go through, but bottoms out at about 1 inch. This allows you do get a consistent size, I forge the taper and get it close the tap it down in, if it does not bottom out I make adjustments, you can feel it when it bottoms out, then you can mark it for cutting. Using the hot cut is a good way to do the cutting, and by cutting at an angle you can get a straight cut on whatever side you choose (hold the end of the bar up give a straight cut on the bar end- if you hold it down you will have a straight cut on the other side and a pointy end on your bar) I have tried it both ways and it seems better to have a square cut on the end of the bar, you do not have to file or upset to have a flat surface.
We had a lot of fun at a hammer in a few years back, another guy also got one of these tools from Brian and brought it with him. There were about 10 people making these things all week end, it turned into a little contest, you can get creative with different designs, the one I showed here is simple and quick. You can go real simple and quick and forge them like nails in two heats.
Oh and the finish I use is just cooking oil applied at black heat as per Brian Brazeal, I use it on pretty much every thing that I make, its cheap and easy, you just have to learn to put it on a the right heat- too hot it burns off - too cold you get a sticky mess