I Forge Iron

Question about anvil markings

I just talked to someone who has an anvil for sale about an hour's drive away, and I'm trying to figure out if I want to make the drive or not. They said the sides have multiple layers of paint, and all they can make out is what they believe to be a 9 on each front foot, and "RET PP" on the side. Unfortunately, no pics. I'm stumped, any ideas on what it could be, or any good questions to ask before I go down there? I'm waiting for a call back, and the only other thing I can think of asking right now is whether the markings are cast or forged. Thanks!

Easy way to tell over the phone is if the markings stand proud of the body (raised) it is usually cast. Multiple layers of paint can hide a lot of sins. Painted ladies ( painted anvils ) can very easily turn out to be crack whores. Its only an hour, and if the price is good, it would be worth a look. Take your bearing for a bounce test, or at least a ball peen hammer!

An hours drive is not that far, I would go check it out. Paint is not a good thing as it can hide defects, I would look at the face- edges make sure the the face is not separating from the base. Most anvils are either wrought iron or cast iron base with a tool steel face. Take a hammer and tap around on the face- listen to how it rings- if you get a ding, ding, ding then a thud it may be a problem- it will sound different near the heal, that is normal less mass there. Around here $2.00/ lb for an anvil is cheap, price does vary by location, size and condition. Another thing I would look at is how fresh the paint is- if it is old paint I probably would not worry about it- fresh paint I would remove to see whats under it, could be bondo or who knows what

It's a pig in a poke as it stands; will they be willing to remove the paint to let the brand name out?

There are some other good clues to look for even as it is now: does it have handling holes; if so how many and where? How thick is the heel? Does it have an indentation on the bottom and if so what does it look like. All these will show even if it's painted and give a clue as to what it *may* be.

Also are there ledges along the front and back feet of the anvil Or do the feet have a rather sharp top and run down fairly small.