I Forge Iron

the 3rd thing i've ever forged...

Feukair

Here's a pic of my 3rd attempt at smithing. It's a railroad spike knife. I grinded an edge along it but left the hammered finish on the sides of the blade. After buffing it off with a wire wheel i though the hammer dimples looked pretty cool so i left them. Besides i don't know how to properly grind one yet so i just used a bench grinder to shape this. It's not heat treated or tempered or anything, just forged and then grinded to see if i could make the shape.

My first forging attempt was a rail spike knife which i left in the forge too long and had it too hot so it melted the blade away...

My second attempt i got a little too hot after i had thinned the blade down so a piece of the blade split.

This was my third attempt. I don't think I'll make another knife for a while, I'm having fun right now trying to make tongs and other tools.

rail_knife_3_low.jpg

L

Here's two other rail knives i've forged and an unforged spike for comparison. The larger one is thined down to about 3/16 inch all the way from the head of the spike, that's how i was able to get it so long. I didn't realize there was soo much metal in a rail spike.

Sorry for the quality of the pic, it's from my cell phone...

rail_knives.jpg

L

I'd go ahead and try a superquench heat treat on it; nice lines!

Thomas

Thanks! But, I don't know what a super quench is? Just heat it up to bright orange and slosh it around in some cold water? Sorry... heat treating is something I definitely need to lean about but haven't got there yet.

L

Thanks! But, I don't know what a super quench is? Just heat it up to bright orange and slosh it around in some cold water? Sorry... heat treating is something I definitely need to lean about but haven't got there yet.

L

That's what I do, and it works good for me, they hold a pretty good edge too, not for like cutting steel bars or anything, but opening boxes and cutting some meat is easy, they perform well.

Feukair,

Do a search for superquench.

It is a mixture of water, salt, a wetting agent, and dish washing detergent.
It takes a rapid quench to harden a railroad spike due to a lower carbon content than most knife steel.

ApprenticeMan,

The spike knife will perform much better if you use the superquench.:D
Give it a try.

Joe