I Forge Iron

2 burner questions...

First off, I am wondering what effect orifice size have on a burner? I have a 3/4" Sidearm and am currently using a .045 mig tip for an orifice, wondering if dropping it to a .035 would be beneficial...

Second, I am having a little trouble with sputtering and huffing with the burner in the forge. It burns textbook perfect when out of the forge. What would be causing this and how would I rectify it. It seems to be worst when the forge is cold.

You could be burning rich causing the huffing. The smaller mig tip is worth a try. That's the beauty of mig tips. Like changing jets in a carb. Generally, a .045 would be too big for a 3/4" burner pipe. You can only shove so much fuel/air mix through a give size pipe and in my experience, a # 57 (.043") or smaller works best in my area Eastern Nebraska). Ground elevation comes into the formula at some point. If you are at a higher elevation such as in the mountains it could need even smaller jets to compensate for the thinner air.