I Forge Iron

Aloha from Fair Lawn

Robakyo

Greetings to all the fine members of the IFI Blacksmithing forum. I recently tore out the old duct work in my basement. In three strategic locations in the system the duct work was held up by 2" X 18" X ¹⁄₈ " flat steel. I started sketching ideas for knives that would fit the available shapes as they also included some large holes used to nail them to the bottom of the floor joists. With hacksaw, body file, and a file that was really too fine to remove much metal, I shaped them into full tang KSO's. I even added scales, pinned in place with pieces of cooking hashi (Very large chopsticks).

After sharpening one, I realized that I really needed help. Searching the net for information on HT, Bladesmithing, and Blacksmithing in general, I eventually found this forum. I am astounded by the scope and talent of the people found posting here regularly. Teachers, Authors, Masters, Journeymen, Apprentices, and Novices. Whether a person is a professional Smith or hobbyist, all share their successes and failures, knowledge and experience. I've been reading this forum since 2010, and recently joined. I have been hesitant to post anything, because I still don't have a forge. It is still not complete. I made an anvil from a piece of R.R. track including a horn using only a hacksaw and body file. I purchased a cross-peen hammer from HD. And I've been acquiring metal in woods, shorelines, etc. My wife thinks I'm losing it. Am I? :blink:

I aspire to be a Bladesmith. After ready 59 pages of posts on the Knife making forum, as well as 6 or so on the Sword making forum, not to mention the various other subjects here, I know it is a very deep pool. I've also utilized the Library system to learn as much as I can, but until I actually start pounding hot metal, it remains only theory.

Robert

So you already know that the stuff wasn't a knife grade alloy; but almost all of us have such a piece hidden somewhere...I used to make swords the ribs of palm fronds back when I was a youngster and only had my boy scout knife...back when gas was 32 cents a gallon...

The fastest way to come up to speed is to start attending meetings of a local smithing group njba.abana-chapter.com is the one listed for NJ but of course depending on where you live there may be a PA, NY or even Delaware one closer...(I used to live in Holmdel mile 114-117 on the GSP)

Greetings Mr. Powers. I suspected that the steel was not very good. After reading many posts on these forums, my suspicions were confirmed. However, heating a cut-off of the same material to cherry red and quenching in water, it snapped right off. I doubt that the previous homeowner would have selected a high carbon steel just to hold ductwork in place. You see, he was fond of patching holes in the walls with masking tape and band-aids. :lol:

I think that the spine of a palm frond would make a respectable Shinai. I lived on Oahu for 6 years while stationed at Schofield Barracks. I really loved Hawaii, and I still like to say Aloha. I just like the way it sounds. I really do need to research the njba.abana chapter. It would be fantastic to meet and learn from real people. Books can only get you so far. HT alone is a vast subject, but vitally important to the success and safety of any blade being forged. Just know that your words do not go unheard.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Robert

Robert,
Northeast Blacksmiths Association is having it's spring hammer-in April 29,30, and May 1st.

Here is a link to the website for registration. NBA

Ciladog, Thank you for that information on the Hammer-in! I definitely want to attend one.

Robert