I Forge Iron

Copper roses

craig

Eric asked for some info... so here's a quick description how these were made...
I used a hacksaw to split 3 short lengths (use the length that when unrolled and flattened will give you a square) of copper pipe, I think these were made from 5/8 " pipe.
I used 3 layers of copper which were all approx the same size and each one had 4 petals cut out on them with tin snips and then filed smooth.
Most of the methods used can be seen in the two videos I'm attaching, I stole some ideas from each of them...
The only thing I really did differently was punch a square hole (to mount on the shank of the nail which was forged square) and offset the center layer...that way they don't turn at all.

Thanks so much Craig. I have some copper sheets my mom used for a project around WWll. She died young and I'd like to make some Roses from that copper for my little girl's seventh birthday so she somehow has something from the grandma she never got to meet. My mom's name was Rose and I named my little girl Maggie Rose so I guess it will be a fitting gift if I can pull it off.... thanks again, Eric

Thanks so much Craig. I have some copper sheets my mom used for a project around WWll. She died young and I'd like to make some Roses from that copper for my little girl's seventh birthday so she somehow has something from the grandma she never got to meet. My mom's name was Rose and I named my little girl Maggie Rose so I guess it will be a fitting gift if I can pull it off.... thanks again, Eric

Good luck Eric, and make sure to post pictures once you've made a couple !!
Another thing, I ground the teeth and sharp edges off a pair of needle-nose pliers to do the final shaping so they don't get too marked up...seems to work ok...though it would be better to have a pair of nice small scrolling tongs

Good luck Eric, and make sure to post pictures once you've made a couple !!
Another thing, I ground the teeth and sharp edges off a pair of needle-nose pliers to do the final shaping so they don't get too marked up...seems to work ok...though it would be better to have a pair of nice small scrolling tongs

Craig, check the tailgate section in Saltfork web site.( http://www.saltforkcraftsmen.org ) Diana Davis has small, about 6", scrolling pliers for sale. IIRC, they are $5.00 p/pair + shipping of course. They are excellent for this type of work. I love mine.

i actually saw this video a while back and have made a few roses useing the guidlelines intailed in it. so if the person who posted the video on here is the same person who made it i thank you very much, i've made quite a few of the ladies around here happy with them :D

i actually saw this video a while back and have made a few roses useing the guidlelines intailed in it. so if the person who posted the video on here is the same person who made it i thank you very much, i've made quite a few of the ladies around here happy with them :D

Well I didn't make the video...but it's a good one !!

Craig, check the tailgate section in Saltfork web site.( http://www.saltforkcraftsmen.org ) Diana Davis has small, about 6", scrolling pliers for sale. IIRC, they are $5.00 p/pair + shipping of course. They are excellent for this type of work. I love mine.

Thanks for the link, I'll have to check it out !!