I Forge Iron

Heat Treating Ovens???

Short question that has a lot of variables for answering it! Do you have an outlet that will run it?, Do you know what you will be heat treating? Will you be using it for hardening or tempering or both? Those two operations take way different heat levels and so do many of the steels that can be heat treated. Fill in some of the blanks and we can do more for you. But if it does wot you need and you can use it the price sure seems right?

I apologize for the vague nature of my inquiry.

I guess I am not really sure of my goals, I have made a few spike knives, (letter openers actually, I don't think rr spikes are any good for utilitarian knifes). I was thinking of using a better steel, but that means lesser tolerance in Tx.
So when I saw these, I figured I could have more control over the heat environment.
I picked these both up for $10 at a surplus warehouse, an impulse. I wasn't thinking about plugs I was to buzzed about my score.

Nice call on the plug configuration; one is a 110 Volt, the older plug configuration post-2133-0-05305500-1299171611_thumb.gi I have no receptacle, (a rented space at this time, the power cant even start my compressor, 20 amp breakers )
I could plug it into my Ranger 8 to test it. The Huppert is 220V, 7.6 amp

The Thermolyne is 110 volt, I can troubleshoot it easier, so far I am guessing it needs a heat coil. Both appear to have asbestos as an insulator, I am not sure if that is an issue or not, as long as I keep it moist while working on it,
this should keep the airborne ppm down while I sack it up and send it to my Haz-Mat security cave in Nevada.

The max temp on each is 1200* C, so that would limit it's usage, but there is most likely a range of product that can be used?

Thanks for your help

Kenny

post-2133-0-05305500-1299171611_thumb.gi

1200c converts to almost 2200f and that is higher than any of the steels I am familiar with for knife making. So that is good. I believe the pics show a adjustment of some sort to turn that down for a workable range. Sounds like you have a solution to the plug in problem with the generator.
There is a stickie on here that will tell you alot more about heat treating steels than I am willing to repeat in this little box. and there is a bp on site that goes into it also. If it is not listed yet it likely soon will be as they are updating those files. But roughly a steel need to be heated to non magnetic,(criticale temp) and for simple blade making steels like 1084, 1095 or 5160 that will be in the range of 1500-1550f. read more for specifics. then a quench in something correct for the steel used. For the above I use oil warmed to about 110-120f then it is into the oven at 400f for a hour or so and again that depends on steel. I list the above data not as the hard line do it this way data, more simply to let you know that you made a good find and as you need they will come in real handy. Or send to me and I will give you your money back. We can negotiate shipping...lol

Heck yeah, they're useful for knifemaking, and all kinds of other stuff. I'm jealous. What are the interior dimensions? To echo Rich, 1200 C is more than you need for even the high alloy and stainless blade steels. It's way more than you need for low alloy and simple carbon steels. Nice find!

The Huppert is 4.5 " square and 10.5 " deep.
The Thermolyne is 4.5 " square and 7 " deep.
Now I have to start looking for parts , a new meter for the Huppert is in order, and the other wont heat up.

I'm psyched now.. thanks for the motivation, I will look for the sticky, & BP

• 2 weeks later...

From a jewelers point of view they would be great for the enameling of silver, copper and gold or perhaps the firing of the metal clays, silver, gold, copper, bronze, aluminum or iron. You may also be able to make mokume-gane in there too, not too sure about that but check it out. I hope that you get them working. Sometimes on small furnaces like this the coils may have a very small break in them so do a through inspection of the heating coils. Good luck in getting them up and running. :D