I Forge Iron

iForge weekend March 26 and 27

March 26th and 27th I FORGE WEEKEND, Tools, books and machinery for sale, bring and buy, demonstrations and problem solving.

By request there will be a demonstration for making wild camping fire equipment featuring Tripod and pot hanging items

Please let me know if you will be coming along as we need numbers for catering, also if you have any specific requests for demo's so we can see about arranging them.

Some items from past events

post-816-0-09459700-1298321812_thumb.jpg post-816-0-34868200-1298321849_thumb.jpg post-816-0-39126500-1298321874_thumb.jpg post-816-0-31595200-1298321913_thumb.jpgpost-816-0-42259500-1298321954_thumb.jpg

I should be able to make it along John, it's been well worth the effort so far and I'm sure this one will be just as informative and fun as the last one :)

I'll have a bit of a think about possible subjects, but off the top of my head, joining methods, riveting and wraps, flowers, and things to sell at stalls, would all find an attentive audience with me.

Oh, and If you can do a class on turning lead into gold, book me a seat :D

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...

Where is this being held? Can I attend :-)?

Westpoint, Devon County Show ground, mile and a half from Junction 30 Exeter services on M5

All are welcome, from 9.00am on, there is another event on also, if security stops you, tell them you are going to the blacksmiths meeting,

Go through main gates, turn right sign posted Devon Drivers Centre, parking indicated, forge at side of parking area, just beyond the driving centre.

Bring any tools or books you have to sell, or problems you need help with.

Thanks to all those who attended, (not that many) I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did,

Between us on the Saturday we made a tripod, a trammel, forge welded a ring, and a corkscrew end a'la Hofi,

On the Sunday, the corkscrew gained a split and heart curled handle, some leafs were made, and a small table feature made up of a couple of leaf styles, a demo on making a lily, they were then forge welded together, a base to mount them on made, that had split and curled ends, a punched square hole with a countersink to take a tenon, the forge welded lily and leafs then had a tenon forged on the welded end, and that was then fitted and rivetted into place on the base plate. It was finished with a brass wire brush when cold, it has to be waxed yet.

Here are a few pics, I didn't get to take that many, so hopefully others will post theirs.

post-816-0-95583000-1301259423_thumb.jpg post-816-0-96380600-1301260027_thumb.jpg post-816-0-48129100-1301260057_thumb.jpg post-816-0-31111700-1301260089_thumb.jpg post-816-0-38977400-1301260321_thumb.jpg post-816-0-08175200-1301260143_thumb.jpg post-816-0-99685400-1301260189_thumb.jpg post-816-0-23793100-1301260259_thumb.jpg

Sundays piece is seven and a half inches long, four and a half inches high,

Edited by John B

Thanks John for all your hard work, I had a great time and I learned plenty :)

It was nice to meet some new faces and to see some of the old ones again, I'm looking forward to the next one :D

If I get time later, I'll see if any of the photos I took actually came out....

Thanks again guys

Steve.

sorry I didn't make it back on sunday, I had a few problems at my end that needed dealing with first. Also I forgot about the clocks changing until halfway through the morning :rolleyes:

I hope a few more turned up for the special visit? The leafy object is very pretty (forgive me, if it has a purpose that I've not spotted), a table centrpiece?

nice work john - shame not a big turn out, we were tied up with all sorts of family suff this weekend, but looks like you had fun. any idea when the next fire welding course is going to be john? did colleen make it in the end?

sorry I didn't make it back on sunday, I had a few problems at my end that needed dealing with first. Also I forgot about the clocks changing until halfway through the morning :rolleyes:

I hope a few more turned up for the special visit? The leafy object is very pretty (forgive me, if it has a purpose that I've not spotted), a table centrpiece?

Hi Dave, No problem, I forgot to mention the time change on Saturday

The leafy object was in response to requests,

How to form a cala lily on a bar end: jumping up, spreading and thinning, cutting profile, and rolling into a cone so the seam at the front forms a neat straight line (surprisingly it also held water without leaking)or could be left overlapping for a more natural lily look,

How to make a simple texture edged leaf form using a top and bottom tool,

A bit of a forge welding demo and talk through (attaching the leafs to a stem in this case, how to prepare them, secure them and fuse them together)

How to make and fit a tenoned piece:

For this it has to fit into something, so I just made a simple back/base plate, going through marking out, splitting and scrolling the ends for stability, (made them into a heart shape to gain brownie points from the recipient)punching a square hole through for the tenon, square so the central feature will not rotate even if it becomes loose, then countersunk the hole using a ball end (bob) punch. Then blended the transitions using a ball faced hammer on the bick.

Made a tenon on the lily/leaf demo, also introduced how useful a blacksmiths helper type tool is by butchering all round for the shoulder, used a top and bottom tool to set the shoulder, then drew the tenon to size using parallel dies, adjust the tenon to fit into the square hole,

Heat the end on the lily assembly and fitted it and rivetted it into the plate, tweaking it to fit square on to front of plate.

Then used local heat from a plumbers blowtorch (no oxy acet handy) to tweak leafs to final positions,

When it had cooled, just wire brushed with a brass wire brush ready for waxing, I was going to pickle it but it came up reasonably well, so I am just going to wax it.,

I'll maybe make a small rose for it and it can be used as a paperweight, table centrepiece (although it is a bit small)or just an ornament

Yes, (Beth) I did make it on Sunday! Thanks John for your hospitality. Really enjoyed the demo, was definitely good to see how versatile the guillotine tool is, and lots of techniques packed into that little pretty thing! Great facility you have there at Westpoint and very much enjoyed the discussion.! Kids had a good time but are hassling me to make stems for their flowers! (and my man said the pub nearby was quite enjoyable also!!) :) Was nice to meet Steve and Mark (who was a leaf making machine!) Shame I could only make it for the Sunday as it would have been nice to meet the rest of ya! :)

Colleen