I Forge Iron

Localized heating

Is this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LPG-Gas-Burner-Heat-Torch-with-Gas-hose-2-Nozzle-T2_W0QQitemZ350440543247QQcategoryZ11774QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7190197059132276343 suitable for heating rivets/tenons, collars, altering scrolls etc or do I need to look at a oxy/lpg setup? I dont want the added expense of extra bottle hire and cost of acetylene.

Cheers Ian

I use an oxy-propane (LPG) system most of the time. If you want to get anything over about an eighth of an inch red hot then the additional expense of the oxygen bottle is unavoidable.

If you go for a oxy-propane system, you need to get the appropriate torch tips and an LPG rated hose. This means buying it from a welding store and not the discount set from the home supply big box store. I like the oxy-propane system for heating because it lets me use some large rosebud torches. From what I've read an oxy-propane torches uses more oxygen than a comparable oxy-acetylene system, but I haven't done a side by side comparison.

Oxy-propane/LPG/Mapp excells at heating larger areas and a "soaking" type of heat.They work real well when used with rosebud type torch tips.
Oxy-acetylene work better for thing that require a very localized and focused heat.Welding sheet metal is an example.
You wouldn`t use an OA torch to melt ice or solder copper pipe and you wouldn`t use propane/mapp for welding if you knew what you were doing and had a choice.

Thanks for the info fellas, I really appreciate it ;). I have some money I got for Christmas and some money tucked away, so now I have to make a decision between three things.My desire says fly press, I want a band saw, but common sense says oxy set :wacko:

If you get the right set you can change tips and run oxy/propane instead of oxy/acetylene. I was looking at a set like that for about $300US, the set of tips was $20-$30.

I anneal thin copper sheet with a plumber's torch just fine (propane or map), but it is near the limit of the torch. Map can do slightly bigger pieces.

Phil

As a ''first torch'' I would bite the bullet and go with OA. Act. will cost more in the short run but be perfect for local heats. Ox lpg is cheaper fuel but uses allot more ox............You pay the piper either way........mb

One other consideration, for doing work that requires lighting and relighting the torch IE rivets, oxy lpg can be a pain to light compared to OA.

• 2 weeks later...