I Forge Iron

hay budden anvils

Hi I am new to this. I collect and display old things and I just bought 2 hay budden anvils.I would like the years they were made. I am not sure if I have the serial numbers wright but I think I do. One is 84# ser # 117698 the second is 74# ser # A11225. I also bought a large anvil it has some letters and numbers on left side ARI then HOLL or HOLE or JoLL or JoLE and 1.3.29 it is maybe 200# I can not tell for sure it is welded to an I beam. If any one can help It will be greatly appreciated. I use things from the past to teach children how it used to be. If you want to see what I do Go to elginlights.com and sparkleberryfair.com These shows are what I do. I do it for kids all volunteer.

Hi I am new to this. I collect and display old things and I just bought 2 hay budden anvils.I would like the years they were made. I am not sure if I have the serial numbers wright but I think I do. One is 84# ser # 117698 the second is 74# ser # A11225. I also bought a large anvil it has some letters and numbers on left side ARI then HOLL or HOLE or JoLL or JoLE and 1.3.29 it is maybe 200# I can not tell for sure it is welded to an I beam. If any one can help It will be greatly appreciated. I use things from the past to teach children how it used to be. If you want to see what I do Go to elginlights.com and sparkleberryfair.com These shows are what I do. I do it for kids all volunteer.

I just looked at the third anvil and it does look like Hole with the numbers 1.3.20 What does the 20 mean. Thanks for all your help.

Just remember that these were hand stamped. Every number stamp set I ever bought has nine stamps: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. You turn the 6 over to get a 9.

I have seen anvils with upside down letters, and even whole logos upside down. So it is not beyond belief that someone turned a six upside down and made it a nine, and it got by the inspector.

If so, to me that would make it special, if not especially collectible.

Or, it could just be a zero with a scratch in it.