I Forge Iron

Hi all.

I've been a lurker on the site for ages, and a non-posting member for a little while now. i'm a student blacksmith at Hereford college, on the second year of the technical course.

At easter time we have the option of either having a three week holiday or doing some work experience, so guess what i'd rather do :) just posting here now to see if anybody needs an assistant around april time. i'm going to be asking some of the local smiths around home (North Wales) but don't mind going further afield given the opportunity.

so if any of you could do with an assistant around easter for a few days or weeks, let me know.

all the best,

Rowan.

hey man!! glad to see you on here mate!! well you know im in the same boat as you and cant offer you any work experience but hope that works out for you ,,
did you get that tue and bosh sorted before you left? are you up and running? i just got my system running with the bouncy castle fan you are welcome to come and have a rip on the old beast!
hope you good man and ill see you in a coupla weeks
matt
ps i thought you mite be saxon you know...

LOL, HI Matt!!! yeah, me work for food. i'm going to ask the two local blacksmiths around here but i tought i'd see if there was anybody further afield who might like some help for a bit. i'm just building up the forge at the moment and i'll post some pics when it is all painted this afternoon. i've just finished assembling the bosh and tue ten minutes ago, so having a cuppa now :)

yeaah, i'm a saxon, from sussex, hence south saxon :)all the best :)

ah sweet good job sir,, i was going to say at the bottom of the forum list is forums for the different guilds and such there is blacksmith guild uk which i think john b runs in devon seems like a helpful guy, try a post in there ! yeh i wanna see post some pics up! hope she burns hot man, take it easy

Hi all.

i posted this in the general forum, but i'm putting it here as well as it seems to be where the UK smiths are at.

I've been a lurker on the site for ages, and a non-posting member for a little while now. i'm a student blacksmith at Hereford college, on the second year of the technical course.

At easter time we have the option of either having a three week holiday or doing some work experience, so guess what i'd rather do :) just posting here now to see if anybody needs an assistant around april time. i'm going to be asking some of the local smiths around home (North Wales) but don't mind going further afield given the opportunity. In fact, I would love to go further afield :)

so if any of you could do with an assistant around easter for a few days or weeks, let me know.

all the best,

Rowan.

Thanks for the thought, lol. i don't mind providing my own food, but if anybody offers me something a long way from home, i could probably do with a field or garden to pitch a tent in.

a few more words about myself, to encourage you all :)

i started off as a woodcarver, when i was 12, and moved onto knife handles when i was maybe 20 years old. from there i moved onto knifemaking and was a self-taught hobbyist knifemaker for 3 years, doing the whole lot from forging to grinding to heat treating and polishing, and built most of my own equipment.

it's impossible to make a living as a knifemaker, but i had caught the fever and decided to become a blacksmith. the time was never right to learn the craft, but i still finally took the plunge this year and applied o college in hereford, where i was put straight through to the second year.

i love smithing, and work hard towards the day i can set-up my own shop :)