I Forge Iron

What kind of anvil is it and what's it worth?

If you jump over to this site you will see a small picture of the anvil, half way down the page on the left side

http://www.blackiron.us/tools.html

That one has part of the front jaw arm, but the one your looking at and the one in the picture are both missing the top plate and jaws

I'd say there is little doubt that it is an anvil vice after seeing MLMartin's link. I guess you'd have to determine what it's worth after a close inspection. Is it worth anything as an anvil? What does the lack of vice jaws and other parts mean for the value? What is it made of? These would be my questions after I was close enough to take a good look. If you can answer thesae questions for yourself and you decide to get it we want a good 4 view photo set.

What it is worth depends on what you and/or others would be willing to pay for a combination anvil/vise that is missing the vise.

Without knowing what type of forging you plan on doing, I would humbly suggest saving your money and purchasing a real anvil, or acquiring either a block of steel or fork-lift tine from the junkyard and using those instead because those items would be more bang for your bucks than the item shown as well as having more functionality than the anvil/vise as shown.

If you are planning on knifemaking then check out the knifemaker's anvils folks on this forum have made, and the reasoning behind their knifemaker's anvil design decisions.

Last anvil vise I bought has a face almost twice the size of that and is made of ductile iron.It didn`t have the jaw and I paid $5 for it.
I don`t use it for anything but non-ferrous work,mostly sheet metal and thin plate.The only other use it sees is when my grandkids beat on it with the wood hammers I made them.Keeps `em away from my real anvil.Well worth what I paid for it just for that.

Thanks MLMartin. That's what makes this site great, lots of knowledgeable people. I already have an anvil but am always looking for more tools. I thought if this were some type of specialty anvil that had a unique usefulness it would be nice to have. The auction is this coming weekend. Hopefully there is something good there. Thanks again everyone.