I Forge Iron

forge depth, how big is to big

14southpaw

Sort of depends on what you plan to make and how the air handing is done. The basic is that you want to be able to get the piece you are working on into the hot spot with the piece *level* or just slightly sloping rather than vertical.

If you are working with a 1hp electric blower and 2" sq stock the "sweet spot" will be different from if you have a hand crank blower, a restrictive tuyere and are working 1/4" sq stock.

One possibility to consider is just cutting a slot on opposite sides so you can slide your stock in. I found that that made my brake-drum forge a lot more usable when I was using it more regularly.

That is what I was thinking about until I showed it to my old machineshop teacher and he got all excited.

Sort of depends on what you plan to make and how the air handing is done. The basic is that you want to be able to get the piece you are working on into the hot spot with the piece *level* or just slightly sloping rather than vertical.

If you are working with a 1hp electric blower and 2" sq stock the "sweet spot" will be different from if you have a hand crank blower, a restrictive tuyere and are working 1/4" sq stock.

I will be using a hand crank blower, I hope. My old machine shop teacher at the local community college has offered to help and kick in his old blower. I just want to make sure we are going in the direction.