I Forge Iron

Ductile Iron Anvil?

Guest DanielT

Guest DanielT

I found a new anvil on ebay for only $140 but it is made of Ductile Iron not tool steel and no steel face. It is 85lbs so the $140 price didn't sound too back compared to new full steel.

Is it worth it or just a nice looking boat anchor? Worried about it just being too soft or breaking with light work.
I am new to blacksmithing and will just be doing it as a hobby so won't be beating on it too much.

Thanks for your help

Guest DanielT

Here is some more info on it incase it helps figure out the value.

Material is alloyed nodular iron (Ductile Iron) fire hardened to a Rockwell of 52
Height 8 3/4"

Work face 12 1/4" x 5"

Base 9 1/2" x 7"

Horn 5 1/2"

Hardie hole 1"

Ductile iron can make decent anvils, though they'll be far more chip prone than a good steel anvil. However, I agree with Southshore: that anvil looks like junk. The design is just terrible.In fact I'd be a little surprised if someone wasted good ductile iron on something that crude. I'm very skeptical of this guy. Note that he has a feedback score of zero. Do a yellow pages search for "Kruse" in Westfield, Indiana, and you come up with nothing like an iron foundry. (There is a "Kruse Machine Company" about 10 miles away, according to Google.) I'd save my money if I were you. If you keep your eyes open and are patient, for $140 you can get a used, antique, quality anvil that'll be a known quantity.