I Forge Iron

Nails?

joshua.M

Basicly, I found a pale full of 6" nails, not galvinized, and i was wondering if anyone has made a knife from nails, i am thinking multiple nails welded into billets and then layered with bandsaw blade peices andfile pwices welded together for damascus, just an idea for a strange pattern
thanks in advance
Josh

Should weld up easily enough, just make sure you hold it at a good welding heat for a while once its all stuck if you dont do many folds after welding it up. You want the carbon to equalise throughout the billet to get a decent blade (the nails will probably be nothing better than mild steel, and therefore wont harden without 'borrowing' some of the carbon from the file pieces)

the spark test i did showed the 6 i am gonna use are HC but i see your point i think i will weld each differant steel into a bar of its own and then weld them all together, the only "damacus" that i have used is cable damascus so i may just start with somthing simpler, i was thinking of a core of c1018 with the next layer of files (i got a ton of old ones) then a cable damascus outer peice then i will do a twist pattern
thanks
Josh