I Forge Iron

unusual power hammer available

Hi folks,
I share a small shop with a couple of friends and we have too many hammers between us. I know, sad story. The truth is, we'd rather work on making stuff than work on fixing tools that would poorly duplicate capacities we already have. So this hammer we'd like to be rid of is a very worn and not too functional mechanical hammer that would need a lot of work to make reliable if you ask me, but, it is an unusual machine that might interest someone. It is marked JDH in the castings and "John Deere" on the flywheel. I'd guess it to be about a 25# hammer. The upper and lower halves of the hammer are bolted to a large wooden beam. It uses an idler pulley. It uses a leaf spring, but the linkage has an extra knuckle (3 on each side) which has the effect of letting you work a broad range of stock sizes without needing to adjust the ram height, but makes it quite the rattyclack express. It is in Philadelphia. I will try to post some pictures soon, but in the meantime, if anyone knows anything about such a hammer or has a Moline fetish, please post away.

I've got one of those, but my flywheel says 'mfgd for the jdh co'. It's called a JDH foot and power combined, if I remember right. There's a write up about it in the book 'Pounding out the Profits'. Could you post a picture of the flywheel Deere mark? The book says they were mistaken for Deere, but not the same company. If you disconnect the eccentric from the hammerhead, there's supposed to be a system of cables and springs that accompany the scissor hinge behind the hammer slide, and it becomes a single-stomp treadle hammer. It's on my to do list to get mine working, I need to reverse-engineer how the treadle linkages work.

I've got one of those, but my flywheel says 'mfgd for the jdh co'. It's called a JDH foot and power combined, if I remember right. There's a write up about it in the book 'Pounding out the Profits'. Could you post a picture of the flywheel Deere mark? The book says they were mistaken for Deere, but not the same company. If you disconnect the eccentric from the hammerhead, there's supposed to be a system of cables and springs that accompany the scissor hinge behind the hammer slide, and it becomes a single-stomp treadle hammer. It's on my to do list to get mine working, I need to reverse-engineer how the treadle linkages work.

Thanks. I won't get back in there today with a camera, but I have a feeling you're right. I will see what's intact of that linkage and get you some pictures. Thanks for the information.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,
I share a small shop with a couple of friends and we have too many hammers between us. I know, sad story. The truth is, we'd rather work on making stuff than work on fixing tools that would poorly duplicate capacities we already have. So this hammer we'd like to be rid of is a very worn and not too functional mechanical hammer that would need a lot of work to make reliable if you ask me, but, it is an unusual machine that might interest someone. It is marked JDH in the castings and "John Deere" on the flywheel. I'd guess it to be about a 25# hammer. The upper and lower halves of the hammer are bolted to a large wooden beam. It uses an idler pulley. It uses a leaf spring, but the linkage has an extra knuckle (3 on each side) which has the effect of letting you work a broad range of stock sizes without needing to adjust the ram height, but makes it quite the rattyclack express. It is in Philadelphia. I will try to post some pictures soon, but in the meantime, if anyone knows anything about such a hammer or has a Moline fetish, please post away.

When are you going to be able to post pictures? I have a Hawkeye model #1 wood frame hammer that was made in Cedar Rapids Io. Would love to see some pictures! Armand

Here are some pictures of the Hawkeye hammer that I HAVE. Does it look anything like the JD that you have? Would like any information that anybody can provide.

it is defenitely a put together piece for probably the leftovers of two different hammers or possably one with hand made parts .. the anvil base is a hawkeye but the upper looks like maybee from a champion ... does it work? the upper die looks kinda small and a drawing die.. have fun!

it is defenitely a put together piece for probably the leftovers of two different hammers or possably one with hand made parts .. the anvil base is a hawkeye but the upper looks like maybee from a champion ... does it work? the upper die looks kinda small and a drawing die.. have fun!

Thank you for your information and thoughts. The hammer turns over by hand and does have a brake but needs to have a motor mounted. I didn't mean to hijack this thread but my thread and this thread were not getting any new thoughts and I was hoping if I posted my pictures here(as well as on my own thread) I might get to see pictures of the unusual power hammer and hopefully get more comments and information going on both threads. I hope to hear soon from Hammerthis and see his pictures. Thanks again! Armand