I Forge Iron

Cold forged Forge32

yaktelcom

It is the top of an electric hot water heater. I have changed my mind and am going with the top of a gas hot water.

Do you guys have any suggestions how to configure this top. I thought about closing the top of the pipe and drilling 2 sets of holes. One set for air the other for ash. I could wedge a flat round piece between the 2 sets of holes, then blow air from the top. Would that make sense?

Well here is the pictures.

Hot Water Tank. post-16476-0-94507800-1295213014_thumb.j

The top cut out. post-16476-0-36593700-1295213162_thumb.j

The Stand for the table post-16476-0-04582600-1295213243_thumb.j

I'm not real sure what you mean about the two seperate holes. Could you draw a picture. Sorry, I'm a visual learner and usually have to see something before I understand it fully. That water heater top should do you pretty good. It is nice and wide and will give you a good area to work with. I know all about waiting till the next payday.

Also, give plenty of thought into the base of your forge. I have seen some forges that I thought might prove unstable once you put coal/coke in them and started pushing iron into the fire. Nothing will ruin your day quicker than to have your forge tip over sending hot coals and your work flying.

Keep us post with your results/advancements.

Mark<><

Well I finally fired it up. Of course some of this is temporary. I just had to get it hot. I cut a piece and flattened some out. Man I see why having the right tools will help a lot. I am using a pair of channel locks and it is very difficult. I am am trying to make a set of tongs. I am going to have to use a dimmer switch for my fan it seems to be going through the wood pretty fast. Here are some Pictures.
It blows on top..post-16476-0-15384900-1295742158_thumb.j
Blows from side..post-16476-0-04649600-1295742171_thumb.j
I will have to cut some of the pot outpost-16476-0-33122800-1295742182_thumb.j
post-16476-0-19424200-1295742195_thumb.j

Yeah the metal got really hot. Moved it around a little. Man do I have a lot to learn, but that's the beauty of it. I will be attempting a set of tongs tomorrow.
I just the the PC out there with me. What surprises me is that the metal moves a little easier than I thought, I just need to move how I want it to.