I Forge Iron

Repairing anvil

Hi,
I have an old VERY beat-up Mousehole anvil. If there's a step below "spare" when it comes to anvils, this would be it. It's not especially important to me, but I would like to bring it back into serviceable condition. Recently, I used an angle grinder to smooth off a broken heel and flatten the anvil face. As I was grinding down the very last tiny pinhole, it turned into two pinholes, then grew into a hollow spot about the size of a grape. I'd like to fill it back in. I have plenty of metal shards from the anvil. I'm wondering if it's possible to melt this metal and pour it back into the hole.
I don't have an arc welder, nor do I have an Oxy-Acetylene rig. I have a Bernzomatic oxygen and MAPP gas kit, which I've yet to use. I know this is pretty feeble, but would I be able to melt metal with it?

Sure, an O/A rig, or a TIG welder, but it will soften the surrounding area.

It would be better to leave this project be until you have access to proper equipment. and experience doing this kind of welding. Melting and pouring will not bond to the base metal.

Phil

If you plan on repairing your Mousehole, you will need a welder at least capable of 200 amps. My Lincoln mig welder I use is 300 amps, so it is plenty big for the job. Any wrought iron or steel base anvil can be repaired using the correct process and equipment.

I have re-built a few anvils and hard-facing can be ground down fairly fast with a Norton Norzon Plus grinding stone on a 7in grinder. I have mine on a 15 amp De-Walt and it moves that stuff. If you plan on re-building you anvil you can use regular mig wire for the base build-up, but you should use something like a 70s-2 wire for its resistance to deforming under use, otherwise the hard-facing could crack because the base material is not strong enough. Just my 2 cents