I Forge Iron

Plans for a forge

DavidOhana

Hello i am david from israel i am new et this forum , i am going to build a coal forge and i need plans on how to design it.
i have access to all iron and metal working tools (welding cutting bending etc... )
the forge plan need to have a chimney
thanks alot to enyone who is going to help :)

I would suggest you search the forum for the 55 Forge. Easy to build and works. Cost should be minimal, and the time to build should be an hour or so. Tools required are a jig saw or other saw with a metal blade.

As to the chimney, if your out side, no chimney is needed but it is nice to remove the smoke from your work area. Inside, you need to check local building codes. Look into the Hofi style chimney, or other side draft chimneys. Hoods do not do as well as a side draft chimney. The chimney should be sized to fit the forge, with 10 or 12 inch diameter being suggested for many forges. Square works as well. IF you can not find 10-12 chimney pipe, then you can put two or more pieces of smaller pipe together to get the diameter you need. The height of the chimney should be 4 feet above the top of the roof of a building, and 4 feet above anything within 10 feet, BEFORE you locate the chimney, locate the wind direction and currents. This should guide you as to the operation of the chimney. For instance, if you have a tree (building etc) in the general area, the wind current must move around that obstruction and will create eddy currents or downdrafts that will effect your chimney and the way it draws.

.Forge design depends on the fuel you are using, and the type and size metal you are going to forge. Give us some details please.