I Forge Iron

Turning some 4" CRS

aametalmaster

Serious cutting is relative. I have taken .500" deep cuts with .015" feed rates in steel with my Monarch. My Dad made 6/9 chips at Mare Island NSY that weighed around 1/2 a pound each on a huge planer. The only other one as big was on the East coast somewhere. It was neat seeing brazed carbide bits with a 2" square shank, and a fist sized chunk of carbide in lathes that were up to 100' between centers.

With a large lathe like mine you can kind of power through materials. With smaller lathes like yours you really have to learn how to keep things rigid, speeds and feeds, and good tool bit geometry for various materials. Looks like you got it down, even though I can't play the video.

"That's nothing"............... Here goes:

Well my old slant bed New Briton would throw chips like a machine-gun against the opposite wall if the chip deflector was not in place. 25HP groaning. 3/4 depth of cut, .080 feed, 1600RPM, 8" 4340. Ceramic insert.

But don't worry, you're looking good.

"That's nothing"............... Here goes:

Well my old slant bed New Briton would throw chips like a machine-gun against the opposite wall if the chip deflector was not in place. 25HP groaning. 3/4 depth of cut, .080 feed, 1600RPM, 8" 4340. Ceramic insert.

But don't worry, you're looking good.

I ran a 50 HP Sidney lathe years ago and a 1" deep cut was a normal one. Anything less and the boss said we were wasting time. Gotta love big machines and little ones too...Bob

I ran a 50 HP Sidney lathe years ago and a 1" deep cut was a normal one. Anything less and the boss said we were wasting time. Gotta love big machines and little ones too...Bob

Cool! I'd like to see that! Used to love watching the big lathes at Jorgenson. Operator rode in a cage right on the carriage, tool holder was about waist-high. Don't recall how much they were taking off though.

• 4 weeks later...

My friend just got a tiny little hobby lathe, I was bugging him that we could chuck it up in my little shop lathe, and then chuck mine up in the small one at work and then chuck that in the big one.... lol I figured you might get some sort of fancy optical allusion if you had them spinning opposite directions. :D