I Forge Iron

Finishing a Damascus Ring

Greetings,

I am working on my next piece of cable damascus and I thought I would make a ring out of my first successful piece for sentimental value. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to finish the ring to protect the wearer from any reaction as well as to protect the ring from constant skin contact. Anyone have any ideas?

Why coat it? From people i have talked to who wear iron jewelry they have no problems. Now an allergy may be a different thing entirely. The natural oils from the body, and the handling of the item should keep the rust away. Just my two cents. I had a similar thread, and some responses indicated that no treatment is necessary.

I never put one on over metal, only wood. But the epoxy "dries" (cures) clear enough that fiberglass sheeting becomes invisible and the wood below shows through - even mistakes in the woodwork.

On second thought, metal screws in the wood show through clearly enough that any marring of the screw heads will show through plainly, so I think it should work over metal as well.

I would practice on sections of scrap first until I had the technique down. Otherwise a soaking in acetone is necessary to remove cured epoxy. Uncured epoxy (the standard two-part type) can be removed with plain white vinegar, since the epoxy acts as a base. It's quite a money saver if you have to do lot of work around the stuff. Takes it off your hands, too, and not as flammable as acetone.

Hope this helps.

BT

One of the best ways to protect the skin.......would be to make a sterling silver "liner", for the damascus band, so that the sterling is what is in contact with the skin. You could also use gold.........but would cost considerably more. :blink: jloose.com has examples of this approach.

as for a protective coating over the damascus.......I use a product called "Protect a Clear" by Everbrite.

that's my 2 centavos :lol:

would love to see pix when your done.