I Forge Iron

Heres my lathe

Norseman C.B.

• 1 month later...

I have on almost like it. I always had problems with the flat belt slipping. After reading about it on the South Bend forum, I changed the belt to an automotive serpentine belt with the multi-vees of the belt running on the flat pulleys. Unfortunately, it requires disassembling the headstock to install the endless belt. It transmits much more power than the old flat belt and I really like it.

I have on almost like it. I always had problems with the flat belt slipping. After reading about it on the South Bend forum, I changed the belt to an automotive serpentine belt with the multi-vees of the belt running on the flat pulleys. Unfortunately, it requires disassembling the headstock to install the endless belt. It transmits much more power than the old flat belt and I really like it.

Tom ; I haven't had too much issue with belt slippage but the belt on mine is showin it's
age. The serpentine belt sounds like a good replacement, I've run south bend lathes with replacement flats pinned in and they have a tendency to hang up on the hog ring splice
at heavier loads (PIA !!!) TURN AND BURN !!! :D

hello i sneak in back door of this room to see your lathe is pretty. i know a machinist who will not be doing it much longer, see his wife left him and he is overwhelmed with child support payments and the general economy has him in a funk it seems he is doing anything for a buck i went to see him and it looked as if it had snowed in his shop. there he was sitting in front of a fan with a paper mask on and was turning...........FIBERGLASS!!! it seems DOW chemical will give him premium money for valves and pipe fittings in acid proof fiberglass, and with few competitors he got a niche as long as HE lasts. peace

hello i sneak in back door of this room to see your lathe is pretty. i know a machinist who will not be doing it much longer, see his wife left him and he is overwhelmed with child support payments and the general economy has him in a funk it seems he is doing anything for a buck i went to see him and it looked as if it had snowed in his shop. there he was sitting in front of a fan with a paper mask on and was turning...........FIBERGLASS!!! it seems DOW chemical will give him premium money for valves and pipe fittings in acid proof fiberglass, and with few competitors he got a niche as long as HE lasts. peace

Thanks O-N-R;
Might I suggest that your pal wire a shop vacum hose to the tool post and vent the exhaust and powder away from his breathing space I'm sure he would last longer if he did that
peace to you both...