I Forge Iron

thors hammer

Sorry ,I,m referring to the jewelery.Wondering if there,s a way to make that,s equivalent,say,to a Frederick,s cross.

Well the way I make them is either by casting or by cutting it out of sheet silver and then stamping designs into it. That is pretty much how most of the thor's hammers found were made. I've never tried forging one, but I think someone put up a post a while back about how they did it. It's somewhere in the message archive. Try typing Thor's hammer into the search window.
Here's a photo of the Thor's hammers I make. Good luck. Happy Holidays.

post-4558-0-68038800-1293026665_thumb.jp post-4558-0-96870600-1293026640_thumb.jp

There's a few ways I can think of forging a Thor's hammer (Mjollnir) pendent. You could do it in the same way as making a nail until the point where you'd upset the nail head. You'd have to keep one side of head equal in thickness to the shaft of the nail as you upset it. Or you could split the end of the nail instead of upsetting it and forge it out into the T shape. Just curl the other end into a small loop for the thong, chain, etc to go through.

I've made a few now... This were my first attempts at making one:

It was based on Brian Brazeal's method for making shoulders and on this:

All free hand, no fullers or guillotines, except my hammer and anvil (block of mild steel) edges. (that's why it looks so bad :) )
There's also this other method: http://www.uffes-smedja.nu/hammereng.htm

Hope it helps

Rubén

Ok, I took a picture of my recreation of the Hesselbjerg amulet. All made from 3/8 in. round mild steel. I've been wearing it for about 6 months now.

Rubén

Hi Ruben,
Nicely done.
Your version is more accurate than mine, and larger. I also added more punch design to the hammer than the original.
My new silver class starts in a few weeks - I can't wait to make more jewelry.
Sam

I'm trying to recall if I have ever seen one in iron; no examples come to mind from the historic record. Sam, others?

Anyway if you want to forge one just forge one the shape is rather simple. Having a nice guillotine fuller would help.

I don't think many of the archaeological pieces are made of iron (... at least not to my failing memory).
I recall pieces made of bronze, silver and even a few in gold (... though mostly bronze or silver).

Generally you don't find a lot of surviving jewelry pieces made of iron from the Norse / Anglo Saxon era.

However iron was a precious commodity to the Norse - valued for tools. weapons and ship rivets.

That isn't to say that a smith wouldn't (or couldn't) have turned a small scrap of iron into a Thor's hammer (... a small one for a child or such ...), but it just may not have survived in the archaeological evidence.

Of course, there may be a whole slew of iron Thor's hammers in some museum display in Norway or Iceland or such and no one has translated the archeological report into English yet (... like SO MUCH other historical evidence and artifacts waiting in dusty drawers and shelves for the funding to do the translation and publishing ... GRRRR!!!! :angry:)

Sorry about going off on that tangent ...

Sam