I Forge Iron

new gas forge from diamondback

Braedon

Looks like it works well.
I could not hear what model it was, and could not recognize it as a Diamondback Forge.
Is it a new model?

Yes it is a new model,,I shoulda muted sound and narrated over it,,I thoughtwith me holding the camera my voice would come through, It is the econo model 2 burner dennis has em on sale for $250, which is one heck of a bang for your buck imo. Merry christmas! Edited by Moderator54
Repaired quote syntax

Yes it is a new model,,I shoulda muted sound and narrated over it,,I thoughtwith me holding the camera my voice would come through, It is the econo model 2 burner dennis has em on sale for $250, which is one heck of a bang for your buck imo. Merry christmas!

Forge looks awesome! Hows the scaling at welding heat? Also do you have any idea of its fuel consumption. Thanks for posting the video

At $250 it's a steal! I build my own forges and I estimate around $125 in materials alone plus considerable time. Next time a newbie starts a "First Propane Forge" thread, I am going to suggest he go this route. It's almost a no brainer.

Yeah the forge roar makes it hard to hear the voice. But hey, we are smiths. We are more interested in the sound of the forge than the commentary! :P

Forge looks awesome! Hows the scaling at welding heat? Also do you have any idea of its fuel consumption. Thanks for posting the video

At $250 it's a steal! I build my own forges and I estimate around $125 in materials alone plus considerable time. Next time a newbie starts a "First Propane Forge" thread, I am going to suggest he go this route. It's almost a no brainer.

Yeah the forge roar makes it hard to hear the voice. But hey, we are smiths. We are more interested in the sound of the forge than the commentary! :P

tnx maddog,, scaling is at almost none!!! and that is without choke plates,,after calculating my time and cost of materials, it was pretty much a no brainer to me also..mike did a really great job with the design. as for the fuel consumption, I weighed a new tank before firing it up, and have been documenting time, as soon as that tank runs out I will be able to answer that. I got this forge for forging damascus (pattern welded) billits. I have a feeling diamondback will have a hard time keeping these things in stock,,as for the noise,,that was at 9 psi for forge welding (prolly could be reduced to 7-8) I ran it makin a bbq fork the other night at 4 and it was going back up to forging temp so fast i was thinkin this thing is gonna work me ta death! :D Merry Christmas!

• 2 weeks later...

Braedon,
Great video, thanks! These little buggers get real hot, and they are a pretty simple, straightforward design. I was looking at making a model a little more affordable, since money seems to be getting harder to come by for most (except those snakes in D.C.) these days. Glad to see you are enjoying your purchase!

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for the review on the forge very good. just getting back into knife making after 4 years away and thinking of replacing my old home made forge . I saw the diamondback on the internet and wondered how they would work, thanks for giveing us a look.
God bless

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using Diamondback's Two burner Smith model for a few months now (well, since I started). As I'm just starting out, I haven't gotten to playing around with forge welding yet, and I usually only run at about 3-4 PSI. I haven't been keeping detailed usage records, but I'd estimate that I've gotten about 10-12 hours out of a 15lb propane tank.

I still need to get a torch or something though. There are times when I only want a small part of the steel heated up, and that's difficult to get done in the gas forge.

Overall though, I've been pleased with it.

For over 50 years I always used an open face coke forge.
I was not used to being restricted by the small openings of a knife makers forge.
I bought the Diamondback "Metal Artist 2-burner Forge"
The design of that forge gave me the freedom to increase the room I needed
when I needed more room to fit different shapes or sizes of material!
I LIKE IT!!!!
Good forging to you all!

I have the two burner blacksmiths model and couldn't be happier. It gets to temp quickly and my 30 gal tank lasts all week, with daily use. With winter on me I don't get out to the shed alot. Its been hovering around -35 f for about a week now. Before that it was even colder. Is it possible to go through blacksmithing withdrawl? :blink:

This is such a nice little forge I may just buy it so I can have a gas saver for little work.