I Forge Iron

My Bradley is home now

Unloading sure was an adventure! We didn't have a tractor or crane to lift it off the trailer, (the one we had planned to borrow broke down last week) so we backed the trailer up to the big door of the shop, jacked up the front end, and winched it off the trailer onto some "roller bearings" (my stash of W2).

Everything went pretty well, except that the jerks who built the trailer put a hasp and chain right in the middle at the end of the trailer, and the hammer kept getting hung up on it. :mad: But, it's now sitting level on my floor, and no one got hurt, PTL.

121510-1.jpg

121510-2.jpg

121510-3.jpg

121510-4.jpg

121510-5.jpg

Today we moved the hammer from just inside the barn door to it's final home. First had to move my "old" air hammer out of the way:

121610-7.jpg

121610-8.jpg

121610-6.jpg

Then just roll the hammer over. This was the easiest part of the process so far. We literally just pushed it across the floor, using a spud bar for course corrections:

121610-1.jpg

121610-2.jpg

121610-3.jpg

121610-4.jpg

121610-5.jpg

How much higher can it get and still be at a good working height for you?
If you are not planning on pouring a block, you should have a lot of wood under the hammer, with a 1/2" thick hard rubber mat between the wood and the concrete. I highly recomend pouring a thick reinforced block for that hammer.

How much higher can it get and still be at a good working height for you?
If you are not planning on pouring a block, you should have a lot of wood under the hammer, with a 1/2" thick hard rubber mat between the wood and the concrete. I highly recomend pouring a thick reinforced block for that hammer.

I definitely intend to pour a new foundation, but now is not the time. I'm just wondering what would be an acceptable temporary base, and I like your idea of the wood and rubber. Unfortunately, I don't think that will work. Maybe if I bought an engine hoist and did some fancy acrobatics...

I definitely intend to pour a new foundation, but now is not the time. I'm just wondering what would be an acceptable temporary base, and I like your idea of the wood and rubber. Unfortunately, I don't think that will work. Maybe if I bought an engine hoist and did some fancy acrobatics...

Phillip,

That's a great looking hammer. Depending on your floor, you may not need to pour a foundation. I have the same hammer on a base of 4x6s, sitting on a regular 4" reinforced concrete shop floor. Haven't had any floor problems in 5 years.

Best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I've been neglecting this thread, but I've been very busy, with lot's of stuff...

Thanks Stewart for the pics, though they are a bit big. ;):)

I have the hammer completely installed, and running. I did install the line shaft, which was a challenge, getting everything lined up perfectly. The belt connecting the motor to the shaft likes to come off. I think that's fixed, but it still isn't tracking on the middle of the pulleys.

Here's a short video clip of it in action, and you can find a couple more on my channel.

The upper die keeps moving, and I want to replace the lower die, as well as pour another, deeper foundation. Other than that, it's ready to roll.