I Forge Iron

Benchmaster punch press

I need some help / advice. I'm thinking of buying this used punch press but don't really know much about them. I haven't been out to see it yet as the gentleman who owns it lives a fair drive from me, but it seems like a decent older tool that would be a nice addition to my budding shop.

All I know about it right now is that it's a Standum, Inc Benchmaster 10 ton press. He send me a picture, but it's pretty blurry. The seller stated it has the following numbers stamped on it

He still has a service / parts manual for it but it doesn't seem to list the model number.

It's a 220 volt unit that he currently has wired to 110 and it also requires an air hookup for the trip.

Can anyone help me out with this? Is $400 a reasonable price assuming it's in good working order? He also said he has a die set for it - not sure on the details of that either.

post-11274-0-63901900-1292426315_thumb.j

$400 is relative to what you are going to do with the machine.
If you have a use for it it is cheap but if you are planning to have it sit on a bench undused taking up space it is not
Years ago a used machinery dealer had similar machines for $1250

Beau Hickory years ago showed using punch press for making incised chisel lines
You also can do punch designs in metal that look hand forged but are done by machine.
Set a pin pull the piece over punch move punch ect. This gives slightly uneven spacing looking hand forged unstead of machine rolled.

Punch presses are not all around forging tools. They are really production tools and IMHO have little use in a small blacksmith shop. Additionaly $400 does not seem like a good deal in this age of de-industrialization. I have gotten similar presses for free, and left them where they sat. The last press I sold was a larger O.B.I press which I sold for $150. If you don't have a specific use in mind, I would forget it.