I Forge Iron

blacksmithing schools/programs

Are you in New Zealand? England? South America? Rhode Island? Bangalore? Tibet?

How far are you willing to travel?

What do you want to learn? Art? Architectural? Industrial?

i live in new york and i would like to stay around that area if possible.
im kinda all over the place right now, and want to i guess sample each type before i get serious with it.
im leaning twards archetectual but im not sure yet

I would suggest the Building Arts College.(google it for more info) It is a 4 year college that teaches all the building arts. Phillip Simmons' grandson is the prof over the blacksmithing dept. Most all of the schools in blacksmithing in the US are 1week long with the exception of the 'grandfather of blacksmith schools' Frank Turley's school in Santa Fe, NM., a 2 week school. Frank is a member here on IFI. In the meantime I would suggest to join an ABANA group in your area and learn from them. This may help you decide what path to take. Good luck....and welcome to IFI!

Actually Mr Simmonds grandson is not the Architectural Iron working professor. Hes not a blacksmith at all. He dose however work at our school, Mr Ofunniyin is the school provost. Richard Guthrie is the iron working professor. He was a smith at Colonial Williams Burg for many years, and has worked many years outside of CW. He is an excellent smith.

Actually Mr Simmonds grandson is not the Architectural Iron working professor. Hes not a blacksmith at all. He dose however work at our school, Mr Ofunniyin is the school provost. Richard Guthrie is the iron working professor. He was a smith at Colonial Williams Burg for many years, and has worked many years outside of CW. He is an excellent smith.

Thank You! for the correction. I meet Mr. Ofunniyin at the ABANA conference, nice gentleman. We visited before the auction on Sat night so there was a lot of noise! I told him I'm looking to retire in less than 2 years and was asking about the welding program there. Thinking about getting into a school to teach welding when I do retire. Thanks again for the correction and I hope to get to visit the school sometime. BTW, I still recommend the school. :D

I would suggest the Building Arts College.(google it for more info) It is a 4 year college that teaches all the building arts. Phillip Simmons' grandson is the prof over the blacksmithing dept. Most all of the schools in blacksmithing in the US are 1week long with the exception of the 'grandfather of blacksmith schools' Frank Turley's school in Santa Fe, NM., a 2 week school. Frank is a member here on IFI. In the meantime I would suggest to join an ABANA group in your area and learn from them. This may help you decide what path to take. Good luck....and welcome to IFI!

alright thanks! i'll look into these