I Forge Iron

Technical Burner Design Info...

ChronicCodez

Where can I find detailed technical info on propane burner design? I am leaning towards venturi since it seems better suited for high temps. I would love to be able to purchase a burner from Hybridburners but can't afford one at the moment. Are there any designs that are as good?

I am a knowledge junkie and really want to understand how the burner works. Diagrams, physics and formulas are what I am looking for.

Where can I find detailed technical info on propane burner design? I am leaning towards venturi since it seems better suited for high temps. I would love to be able to purchase a burner from Hybridburners but can't afford one at the moment. Are there any designs that are as good?

I am a knowledge junkie and really want to understand how the burner works. Diagrams, physics and formulas are what I am looking for.

Forge burners have been discussed many times on this site - use the search feature in the upper right corner.

Venturi burners are not the best for high temps generally. Look at commercial systems! When I was forging 2.5" stock at nearly 7000' altitude and at welding temperature---we had an accidental weld happen in the forge that we had to hammer apart---we were using a simple blown burner with combustion air preheat.

+1 to Thomas's comment. Venturis are by no means "better suited for high temps." They can reach very high temps, but it's not a simple thing with a homemade one, depending on what kind of capabilities you have. (If you have a lathe, you'd have a big head start on making high performance burners.) Blown burners are the simple, tried and true route to very high temps. Preheated combustion air would add a real performance kick, but that takes a bit more engineering.

Michael Porter's book on burners might interest you.

... Blown burners are the simple, tried and true route to very high temps. Preheated combustion air would add a real performance kick, but that takes a bit more engineering.

I agree. Especially for a first project. They are far less critical in their design and provided you have an adequate blower, they can put out more BTU than a typical venturi of the same size.

Venturi burners sometimes struggle to reach welding heat. They have to be designed well and the forge design has to be appropriate with very little obstruction. The best homemade venturis are probably the sidearm (google that word for Zoeller's site) and the frosTy burner made from a pipe T. There are a couple of threads on this site where Frosty gives details about making his burner. Michael Porter's design is home made and probably higher performance than the other two, but "home made" in this case means a lot of work while the sidearm and the frosTy can be made in a couple of hours depending. There are other designs out there and some may be superior but they havent been as well tested.