I Forge Iron

Newly acquired Champion 401 blower/forge

utaholdiron

I drove 70 miles one way and through a blizzard to buy this. I wasn't able to open the top of the blower and check the condition of the gears before I bought it, but it cranked smoothly and moved alot of air. I've since verified the gears are in great condition. I paid $200 for it, and although not a red hot bargain, I don't feel I got hurt too badly.

As can be seen, the forge bed has been beefed up with 1/2" circular plate metal. I was able to put the whole thing in the trunk for the ride home. There's a quick disconnect that frees the blower from the forge, and the 4 legs also can be taken off quite easily.

post-15679-0-50424300-1290552927_thumb.j

post-15679-0-36070700-1290552956_thumb.j

post-15679-0-89880800-1290552976_thumb.j

post-15679-0-15155400-1290553006_thumb.j

post-15679-0-29162600-1290553052_thumb.j

• 5 months later...

I just picked up one last wekend for $175. I have taken the forge apart to the last screw and have cleaned it. I will repaint and reassemble.

The blower is in perfect shape. Shows no wear at all. The bearings are like new. I cleaned out the old oil and put it back together. I have it soaking up fresh oil now.

No cracked casting! I have never seen anything like it. This one has a fan of eight inches. Smallest I have seen. They generally are 12 or 14 inches dia.

The Champion advertisement lists this as the "Government Portable 401" There is some literature I have read about this set-up, but it shows it setting on a crate, which you pack the assembly into to transport it.

The Champion advertisements are now available on CD as the original book would be rather costly.

I intend to use this unit as opposed to setting it in the corner. I hope it works well enough to forge some horse shoes and small stuff like hooks etc.