I Forge Iron

OLD Punch / Shears

jokerman

I have an old punch/shears that was patented Nov 8th, 1881. Patent # 249297. It was invented by Dennis C. Burdick of Milton Wisconsin. The model is a No.8. There is one shown (No.9) in a Chas. A. Strelinger catalog dated 1895. It was marketed to blacksmiths of the era. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Does anyone have one?

I needed to do some restoration work on my tool, as parts were missing when I acquired it. The patent info was very helpful in this regard. It now functions as originally designed. Pics are attached. Comments welcome.

post-10210-0-48958200-1290360222_thumb.j

post-10210-0-75144300-1290360245_thumb.j

post-10210-0-91020500-1290360262_thumb.j

What a Great old machine! Glad you were able to see it's potential. What are the capacities?

Thanks for your comments. I haven't really tried to push the potential of this tool. But, I have easily punched 3/16 and 1/4 inch holes through 1/8 mild steel. I've also sheared flat 1/8 and round 1/4. Most of this has been good enough for me so far. It was fun to bring this old tool back to life and best of all, it works!
I'm trying to do some research on its history and am hoping for additional feedback from other members. I don't believe it's a one-of-a-kind, but not sure how many survived over the years.

Cool find. Nice work on the punch station.

There were several 'mechanical ironworkers', which is how I would describe this, in the tailgating area at the ABANA conference in KY a few years ago (2004?), but I don't remember the prices or if they sold.

there was a HUGE cast iron ironworker this year at Quad State. I cannot recall the brand, but it had straight shears, notches for bar stock, and a spot for angle iron. he was asking $400 and I would have bought it too had I not spent more than every penny there already and was worried about the capacity of my truck...

it was a pretty sweet looking tool, and no doubt still very functional.

Aaron

i have something similar in my shop .. mine ive seen in a catalogue from 1900 and mostly for 1/8 stock or smaller .. also have a pexto punch that is in the same league .. will post pictures in a few days . looking at magazines from the turn of the century these tools were readily available .i like your lockdown/stripper for your punch .nice tool!

i have something similar in my shop .. mine ive seen in a catalogue from 1900 and mostly for 1/8 stock or smaller .. also have a pexto punch that is in the same league .. will post pictures in a few days . looking at magazines from the turn of the century these tools were readily available .i like your lockdown/stripper for your punch .nice tool!

Thanks for the response. I look forward to seeing pictures of your punch/shear machine. If you have the names of any specific magazines from the era showing these types of tools that would be great. As much as I enjoy having old tools I also like knowing about their history.

• 12 years later...