I Forge Iron

Steel Cable Knife question

Cole Cross

I have welded 3/4, 1, 1 1/2 even 2 inch with the method I am putting this link to. This is a crude way of doing it but it has always worked for me. I am not sure if it shows it, but after welding the end I usually clamp the end in the vise and untwist the cable a little and sprinkle flux inside the cable then put it back in the vise and tighten it back up.

http://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/BirthOfACableKnife#

I have welded 3/4, 1, 1 1/2 even 2 inch with the method I am putting this link to. This is a crude way of doing it but it has always worked for me. I am not sure if it shows it, but after welding the end I usually clamp the end in the vise and untwist the cable a little and sprinkle flux inside the cable then put it back in the vise and tighten it back up.

http://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/BirthOfACableKnife#

Hey LDW, what you made as simply amazing! I made a forge out of an old grill. I ran a 3/4" pipe through the bottom with some holes drilled in it and then hooked a hair dryer to it as a blower. I use old wood pallets for fuel and I am wondering, can I get the steel hot enough to weld it with the setup mentioned?

They melt iron ore with wood charcoal. I have never used charcoal myself but I am sure you can do anything with it that you can do with coal.
You say you ran a 3/4 inch pipe to carry your air. I do not think that is going to give you enough volume. You need a bigger pipe for your air.

A while back I made a coal forge out of an old cast iron hibachi. I lined the inside (firebed) with fire clay and used 1 1/4" pipe for my air supply with holes drilled the entire length at
1" intervals. To control air flow I used a 1 1/4" water valve. I used a hair dryer for about a week and it burned out so I went to a hand crank bellows that a friend loaned me. At any rate
ur gonna need something to control air flow for the forge.

Gene

I am looking to try my first damascus project and my research lead to using steel cable as a start. I found some 1 Inch 6X37 IWRC Wire Rope for sale online and was wondering if this is suitable enough to start with?

back to the cable question, I am not sure it would be a good cable to start with. IIRC 6x37 means 6 cables of 37 strands each wound together for the total. That could cause two problems. First, a good cable for welding would be 7x7 or 7x13 which means 7 cables, including the one in the center. The 6x37 probably has a synthetic center that will cause all sorts of problems with welding, or allow the cable to collapse, giving it only as much mass as a 3/4" or 7/8" cable. The second problem would be the size of the individual strands. When you weld a cable together, you will get a decarb layer on each strand. In a way this is nice as it adds to the pattern, but on thin wires, you can lose over half of the carbon in the steel while you are welding. a single wire in a 7x7 is about .111" dia. If you were to only lose carbon in .005" all around, you would still have .101" of good steel in each strand, or about 82% of the wire. in 6x37 each wire is about .045" by the time you lose the decarb, you have a .035" center, or only about 60% good steel.

The cables I have used in the past are 7x7 aircraft cable bright finish. Those are available in various sizes, and are not coated or filled with any plastics or fibers.