I Forge Iron

please help with anvil ID

After 12 months of suffering with a lousy Harbor Freight / Chinese cast iron anvil – I finally bought a real anvil. The seller had no information about it other than it was about 70 pounds. I needed something light that I can carry up and down the stairs every time I use it. There are no apparent manufacturer’s markings on the sides. There are some numbers stamped into the front foot – under the horn:
“73” I assume that is the weight of the anvil
The other numbers appear to be “A 156 196 “

I know I don’t have much information other than the photos. Can anyone make any guesses on the manufacturer or approximate date of manufacture?

I appreciate any info

post-11950-0-27457600-1289934165_thumb.j

post-11950-0-14113200-1289934184_thumb.j

I don't know what kind it is but it looks good to me. What did you pay for it?

I paid $260 - maybe a little high in some areas of the country - but I've been looking for a year now and this is about the best looking anvil that I have seen. There aren't very many for sale around here. Anyway - it is mine now.
I started dressing the edges - most of the chips are ground out already with a 1/8" radius.
Oh ya - I also got a tree stump base and a cut off hardie with the anvil.

I agree that it is probably a Trenton.

The year of manufacture would be 1917 according to AIA.

Wow - thanks for the information. This is a great forum with very helpfull people

Jeff