I Forge Iron

forging hexagon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been doing alot more hex tapering, hex bars, and hex balls since I last posted on this thread and had alot of people who have been here for classes do it too. It is quite a bit more efficient than going square, octagon to round, and if you leave it hex, it is very appealing. Here is a video that we did a while back doing a hex taper and ball:

I just had my first experience forging hex with Brian and Lyle at Brian's class. I was using it for the striking ends on punches, it was way more efficient than going to round and looks good. The one trick Lyle showed me is if you are struggling to get the 60 degrees right you can go 90 and come back up 30. It sounds like double handling but I think we are all so programmed to go 90 you have to fight it at first. Once you get the feel for 60 this way, you can then go straight for it.

After reading this very informative thread, anything I could add to the issue of the twisting problem would be pale.
What I have to say (2c worth) does not answer the “Twist Problem” but it leads to something that I think is important that Mike Hr. said.

Mike-Hr, when you said: “Eat the time, or gear up”.
I about fell off of my chair laughing. How true, how true, how true :P .
After failing the first two times in starting and running a Blacksmith/Welding shop, I tried one more time (3rd time) back in 1974.
After trying to think smarter this time instead of working harder I had an evaluation of my “shop business practices” analyzed by the graduating business class of a collage.

With a fine tooth comb they went through my records, asked detailed questions about my business practices, my training (craftsmanship skills and business training), types of tools/equipment, material purchasing practices, and how I used the most important thing I had, and that was “my time”.

This was my third attempt to make a business work good enough to support my family.
I went under the first two times due to not having a real business plan or experience with business management. I gave myself away each time.

But this time (3rd time is a charm) after evaluating my approach to business, they felt that I was finally applying good business practices, and my skills were sufficient.
But; their report pointed out that I had reached a point to where I should either go back to my back yard and do it as a hobby, or tool-up and buy materials in larger quantities if I wanted to continue to make a living and not sacrifice my time and health.

The only reason I was able to make the business run to this point was at the sacrifice of working long hours into the night each night and back again early in the morning.
So, I tooled up, and I invested in buying large quantities of steel and supplies which added to the profit side of the equation.

As a result, it paid off. I increased my productivity over double and was able to get some sleep finally.

I only wish a friend had said to me early on; “Eat the time, or gear up”.

My best to you all!
Ted Throckmorton :P