I Forge Iron

Chain Mailbox Post

chainz

Thanx for the compliments.

It's pretty much free standing. I wrapped the base in such a way as to sit level. There are basically just a couple oversized steel "tent" stakes holding it to the ground.

I didn't wanna cement it in, due to "break away" laws. If a car hits it, it has to be able to give. Last thing I need it to be sued because someone runs into it and breaks a nail, or something equally retarded.

Thanx for the compliments.

It's pretty much free standing. I wrapped the base in such a way as to sit level. There are basically just a couple oversized steel "tent" stakes holding it to the ground.

I didn't wanna cement it in, due to "break away" laws. If a car hits it, it has to be able to give. Last thing I need it to be sued because someone runs into it and breaks a nail, or something equally retarded.

Really, I probably would have sunk 3 concrete blocks in the ground and then used a thinner chain or wire to attach it to the blocks. You could also do something similar with a concrete pad. Just use something significantly weaker than the chain and the bridge and it will break before anything else does. Atleast IMHO.

Really, I probably would have sunk 3 concrete blocks in the ground and then used a thinner chain or wire to attach it to the blocks. You could also do something similar with a concrete pad. Just use something significantly weaker than the chain and the bridge and it will break before anything else does. Atleast IMHO.

Thought about that. But couldn't figure out a way to make it so it didn't "rock" that way without hard mounting it. Well, I had a few ideas, but they all seemed too labor intensive for what it was. It seems to work for now. If I have an issue, I'll figure out a more solid mounting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think it's way cool! Just curious, what did you weld it with?

I just mig welded it. I was gonna tig it, but that chain is WAY big. My tig welder is a Miller Syncrowave 180.

My mig is a Miller 250. Plus it would have taken FOREVER to tig.

Thanx for the compliments......

Chainz