I Forge Iron

uses for annealing oven?

I have a question on the usefulness of an annealing oven. I have not needed one in the past but am starting to make more tools now. Hammers, hardie tools etc... I am looking at some smithing stuff and the guy has an oven and would like to sell it all as a package.He thinks max temp is 500f and it probably plugs into 110 volt. I dont do anything as critical as knifemaking now, but...
I will try to post a pic.
Thanks
Rob

An oven with a max temp of 500 F would be useful only for tempering, and it's pretty limited even for that. It's probably a little better than your kitchen oven, in that it's probably more accurate and likely doesn't flucuate as much, but I still wouldn't pay very much for it.

That said, you should try to get a make and model number, and look up the specs yourself. If it's more capable than the seller realizes, that might change the picture.

Thanks Matt, I am thinking the same thing, could not figure out the usefulness of such a low temp oven. I may have to get it to make the deal happen though.
Anyone know what an oven like this would be useful for? I think this guy was into bladesmithing. He has two of these ovens $300 each.
Thanks
Rob