I Forge Iron

forging 60si7 or EN-45

helixrules

hey everyone

well i was trying to forge a chisel(pic attached), from a 25mm dia round. the diameter of the top point of the cone is 5mm. the problem we are facing is while forming the conical profile, the material does not flow to the top and the tip does not form properly.

we have provided a air vent in the top of the die. we are forging this piece on a screw forging press of 200tons capacity.

please give your valuable advice as what solutions can be done to make this part properly. btw the material is 60Si7 or EN-45

post-15299-054712900 1286946364_thumb.jp

hey everyone

well i was trying to forge a chisel(pic attached), from a 25mm dia round. the diameter of the top point of the cone is 5mm. the problem we are facing is while forming the conical profile, the material does not flow to the top and the tip does not form properly.

we have provided a air vent in the top of the die. we are forging this piece on a screw forging press of 200tons capacity.

please give your valuable advice as what solutions can be done to make this part properly. btw the material is 60Si7 or EN-45

I know its very hard to get material to form in a conical rivet set. (you get a flat spot just like your photo) my guess is the material needs some pre shape to help with the migration. Im sure someone with some industrial forging experience will speak up

I take it that you are upsetting the material by standing it vertically in a die, are you forming this in one pass or are you using a preforming pass as well, if you are doing this in one pass I would suggest 2, to somehow preform it somewhat as Grant has suggested, and I would also second a forging lubricant of some sort to reduce the friction of the material being forced up to the top.

Answer some of our questions and we'll see what else we can suggest.

Phil

thanks a lot guys for the response. actually initially i was trying to do it in 2 passes but i was not getting the desired result. then I switched to three passes. now we are Forging the material three times to get the desired shape.

this has increased our cost and decreased our productivity enormously. at present we are using graphite powder mixed with sodium silicate as lubricant.

i will attach pictures of material after each pass so that you guys can take a look. i was looking for some suggestion in die design or lubricant we can use to manufacture the part in two steps only.

thanks

Contact Henkel Surface Techno;ogies and ask for a sample of Forge Eze P3 E185 forgeing lubricant of their current equivelent. This is a liquid lube shipped as a concentrate and diluted with water. It flashes all of the water off when applied to a hot die leaving a solid film lubricant that is the best forging lube I have ever seen for upsetting. We used it in lage upsetters to make flanges with details and it works very very well.