I Forge Iron

homemade forge

elfshadow14

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

20 years ago I worked for a large chain and anchor maker in the UK. When we relined our rivet type forges we used a mixture of fire cement and diatamaceous earth, you can clean up on this stuff at the end of "POOL" season in your neck of the woods, it is used in some pool filters, and they sell it off at Lowes/H depot at the end of summer. It is used as an insulator in brick kilns also, I use it as the contents of my anealing bin, it is not flamable and does not stain anything. Kitty liter is fullers earth (the basic ingredient in a stick of dynamite) which is similar, but diatamaceous earth has two small holes on it making it a great insulator. Our anealing bins were a steel can about the size of a MilSpec RPG box, with a sealable lid, (like an RPG box, see where I'm going), filled with D/E, about a four hour cool, real soft.

• 5 months later...

Welcome to IFI snowleary. This is a good thread to jump in on but I would recommend that you go to the front page and work your way through the Getting Started articles. As for a starting forge either the washtub or brake drum forge is a great starter. Have a dig around your area and see if there are any associations for you to hook up with.

Good luck and ask away :)

Welcome aboard Snowleary, glad to have ya.

By all means a perfect way to start out is by reading the "lessons in metalworking and Blueprints" sections of the site.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. Also if local folk know you're there they can invite you to get togethers, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty