I Forge Iron

Peter Wright, Approximate Prod Date? Has S/N

I just bought my first Peter Wright Anvil. I cleaned it up a bit and found these steel-stampings.

PETER
WRIGHT
PATENT
MADE in ENGLAND
SOLID WROUGHT (arranged in a circle)
Next, the three digit weight numbers,

Then, midway between the "Weight" numbers and anvil base, what looks to be a serial-number: 2068

Finally, at the very bottom just above the base: S

The "2068" sure looks like a Serial Number, but I don't know.

Due to the "Made in England" markings, I would assume it was produced after March of 1891. With regards to the country of origin marking, it was stated in section 6, page 58 in the original printed McKinley Tariff Act of 1890:

"That on and after the first day of March, eighteen hundred and ninety-one, all articles of foreign manufacture, such as are usually or ordinarily marked, stamped, branded or labeled, and all packages containing such or other imported articles, shall, respectively, be plainly marked, stamped, branded, or labeled in legible English words, so as to indicate the country of their origin; and unless so marked, stamped or branded, or labeled they shall not be admitted to entry."

Postman suggested the "Made in England" as being after 1910, but others suggest that 1891 is more correct.

In any event, would really like to know the "Vintage" year of production of this anvil.

Thank You.

I do not believe that PW used serial numbers however it could be an asset number from a previous owner.

My big Fisher anvil was from a blacker powerhammer and has a number punched into the side of the face that Fisher never put there.

Another Blacker I've seen has a similar number just a couple if digits off so I suspect it's a blacker number---nothing stops anyone from adding their own number to an anvil.

If I remember correctly from looking up the info on Peter Wrights when I got mine, yours would be made definately after 1900, or more likely after 1910.
The number you think is a serial number is going to be an add on by a previous owner, and the number on the base is from an importer or original seller.
I hope this is correct.
Aaron

• 1 month later...