I Forge Iron

Vulcan nonshrinking die steel

I found a bar of steel with a label marked Vulcan nonshrinking die steel. It spark tests like nothing I have. Some experimenting suggests it is an air Harding steel. I found this in an old metal spinning shop. That been around since the 1930's. Any idea what alloy this is? I welded something to a piece of it and it cracked all over even with a preheat.

A quick look through the ASM and related sites shows that this type of steel was written up in one of the ASM publications in 1954. Another tech site gives a quick overview that claims it is a type of O2. If I get free time tomorrow, I will check my Materials Handbooks to see if it is in one of them.

O2 is very high in Manganese, so it may be riding the line between oil and air hardening. That could also account for the welds cracking.

Carpenter Tool Steel used to manufacture O2 as one of their matched tool steels, you may find good information on their site for how to heat treat it.

As a side note, if it is O2, many bladesmiths may be interested in it. O2 isone of the darkest etching steels, giving a pattern welded blade nearly black lines for high contrast.

If I recall, the last US manufacturer of O2 was Carpenter, and they stopped making it about 8-10(?) years ago. As far as I am concerned it is a shame, I liked the steel, I think the last time I got some was about 5 years ago, in a thrift store of all places. :)

If it is marked in ink on the steel, or is in original wrapping that is plainly marked, I would bet that you have O2, though the only way to know for certain what steel it is would be to get it tested. If you want a good guess, get a copy of "Tool Steel Simplified" form your library, or ILL. The book was written by a metallurgist at Carpenter, and they have several sections on how the steels harden, anneal, good uses, and spark tests in color.

The label came off when I forged a hammer on one end of the bar. But I am 100% sure that's what it said . I think you are right about it being on the air oil edge because I use a fast oil and sometimes I got cracks when I quenched it. I don't make knives I don't ever think I will start making knives. I mainly use S-5, H-13, 4140, and 5160 with some W-1 thrown in now and then. Never really liked the O-1 for the things I do as I make mostly blacksmiths tools that I use in the shop when I use tool or alloy steel. It is in thick bars 2" and 2 5/8" I would be willing to trade for some other steel I could use.