I Forge Iron

Deer Season

The culinary term for it is "barding." Yes, added moisture during cooking is the purpose.mike."

Actually it is called "larding" See What is a Larding Needle?

Curly: I used some 3/16 stainless rod, hammered to a flat point on one end and flattened and slot punched on the other. The slot punched end for threading bacon through, just like a big needle and thread. The flat sharp point cuts a path through the meat for the bacon strip. Edited by BT

In the link I posted above and after a little further checking in several dictionaries I did find references to "barding" with one of the definitions being the wrapping of meat with bacon or fat as opposed to inserting the fat into the meat(larding). Hmmm . . . new one on me. :) Most dictionaries only list the poet definition or the armor definition for bard.

Edited by BT

Look at the bible- Joy of Cooking-( mine is an edition from the late 40's) that is where I got my spelling. Of course, "The Great Bard" spelled as he pleased.Wink-mike ( adding, thanks for the intellectual respect that led you to investigate my spelling of the term)

Edited by racer3j

Interesting thread...several of the older folks in our family hunted to live when I was growing up in the 1960's. The meat on the table was more often than not either fish caught out of the river or some type of game. They butchered hogs when their children were living at home but had stopped that by the time I was born so the only meat they typically bought in town was bacon - everything else came off the land; having a garden and chickens helped with the rest. They also shot deer all year long - being born before 1900 and living through the Depression probably affected their views of game laws.

I was given a .22 Marlin at age 6 (supervised) and allowed to go out by myself by the time I was 9 or 10 to hunt rabbits and squirrels. I would be given a full magazine of shells and expected to bring something back for every one fired. I was chastised if anything took more than one bullet so careful head shots became the norm on most everything. I remember once coming back with 6 swamp rabbits - my grandmother and aunts were ecstatic and cleaned them for me; there was a family reunion that weekend so we had rabbit stew that night and fed about a dozen folks. All those people have now gone on to their reward but I have great memories...

I didn't hunt deer with handguns until I was in my twenties but have killed a few over the years with either a .45 LC or .44 Mag. None took more than one round but I broke all of them down with a shoulder shot - head shots are best left to rifles, at least for me.

I process my own deer and make dry smoked sausage out of everything. I'll make venison chili occasionally but the meat lends it so well to dry sausage that I prefer that over most other things. Usually, the sausage is 100% venison but sometimes we'll put a little pork in it for binder and some extra flavor. Maybe ten years ago, I "larded/barded" one venison neck roast with bacon stuck down in slits made with a knife. IIRC, it turned out well but I never repeated the experiment. Based on what y'all are saying, sounds like it could be developed into a really good recipe. You might also try deep frying a neck or ham - makes for a really tasty roast (similar to frying a turkey on T-day).

It is a different time. In 6th grade I took my birthday present-a S & W K-22 Masterpiece target revolver to "Show and Tell." Nobody even blinked. I agree on the shoulder. Heart shot a big doe once and she went pell mell down a steep hill/ravine. I had to track her. Field dressed her and dragged her half way up the wrong side of the ravine, figured that out and turned around and back up the right way. It was dark and steep and my pard could not figure out where I was. Would have been nothing except two days before a stress test had confirmed a bad valve in my personal "V-8." She was tasty- maybe that extra effort and bit of perceived risk sweetened her up on my palate.mike

Racer3j:

No fooling about "it is a different time". My dad tells of a time when he could bring his deer gun to school to store in his locker while he was at class. Either he was hunting before or after school. I can remember hearing about some schools when I was younger having shooting teams. No more of that! Although Frosty's governor may be our next VP (hope hope) and possibly the FIRST Lady Prez!

Bill