I Forge Iron

hello everyone i'm new to it all

Hi, my name is Rob I'm from southern West Virginia in the coal fields. I have background in metal work as a certified welder. I just started blacksmithing almost a month ago, when i first built my forge I had to firer it up right away and start trying to make something within a hour I made a fairly nice knife, from that moment I was hooked. Since I was a child I always been fascinated with blade making and dreamed of being a blacksmith, but I thought the art was one of those things lost to time I didn't know there was such a large group of blacksmiths still in existence. So far I have made some tongs and a few knives but all out of structural steel seeing that its cheaper I figured it would be best for practicing shaping than high carbon. Still haven't been able to forge weld but I have read some post on here earlier that I think will help so I will try it again today. I am currently using a brake drum forge with mostly coal sometimes coke that I collect from previous fires. I really don't know what else to say so I'll just end with its nice to join you all and I hope to make some friend. take care.

(p.s forgive any typing errors and such I'm horrible at it and I'm also dyslexic)

Welcome aboard Rob, glad to have you!

I'm pretty sure someone will chime in with the smithing organization closest to you so I'm not worrying about not remembering.

There are few things in life better than being able to tqake mankind's two oldest tools besides brain and thumbs, fire and something to hit with and have your way with iron and steel.

Good start working mild steel before moving onto tool steel.

Frosty the Lucky.

Welcome aboard Rob, glad to have you!

I'm pretty sure someone will chime in with the smithing organization closest to you so I'm not worrying about not remembering.

There are few things in life better than being able to tqake mankind's two oldest tools besides brain and thumbs, fire and something to hit with and have your way with iron and steel.

Good start working mild steel before moving onto tool steel.

Frosty the Lucky.

Thanks for the welcome, I hope someone does I have looked online couldn't really find any close.

Thanks for the welcome, I hope someone does I have looked online couldn't really find any close.

Just HAD to make me look it up didn't ya. :o You're going to fit in here just fine.

Go to the IFI home page, scroll to darned near the bottom and open the section about Blacksmith organizations, clubs, etc. That should hook you up. Of course you could start hanging on the general blacksmithing section, lots of folk in your part of the planet like to play with fire and hit things. If you ever make it to Alaska, look me up.

Frosty the Lucky.

Just HAD to make me look it up didn't ya. :o You're going to fit in here just fine.

Go to the IFI home page, scroll to darned near the bottom and open the section about Blacksmith organizations, clubs, etc. That should hook you up. Of course you could start hanging on the general blacksmithing section, lots of folk in your part of the planet like to play with fire and hit things. If you ever make it to Alaska, look me up.

Frosty the Lucky.

thanks alot! and will do