I Forge Iron

Anyang Factory Visit

Great vid James. What was the hammer, steam, air, hydro?

Seems like Dick needs a splint for his head... :lol:

Dillon, it was a hydraulic hammer. They have made a business of not only building new hammers but converting old air or steam hammers to Hydraulic. Apparently there is a fairly quick economic payback in energy savings.

James,

I've been back and forth to Houston recently for some heat treating work, and from what I can tell, you Texas boys have some thick skin. Hopefully that holds true for you too. If I want read/talk politics or religion I will bring a politician as a guest to sunday mass, and kill two birds with one stone. If I want to read/talk blacksmithing, I come to Iforgeiron. Period.

could not agree with you more. I have a lot more control over what I create as a blacksmith than I have over politics and blacksmithing is a lot more satisfying

James.

I've been back and forth to Houston recently for some heat treating work, and from what I can tell, you Texas boys have some thick skin. Hopefully that holds true for you too. If I want read/talk politics or religion I will bring a politician as a guest to sunday mass, and kill two birds with one stone. If I want to read/talk blacksmithing, I come to Iforgeiron. Period.

I know the hyd hammers work ok (you can see it working here), but I missed seeing the fluid sense of motion that you get with a steam or air hammer, that when you give a blow and lift the hammer off the job it springs off the job and does a nice little kind of flick/bounce in mid air until you lift it up to the top of the stroke for another blow. They seem to give more of a dead blow. That said it was good work on the part of the manip driver and the hammer driver, no real comunication, just each other knowing what was expected and doing their job, poetry in motion, very nice. Please post more of these if you have them.

Phil