I Forge Iron

suitable fuel

John Fee is the forgemaster for the Southern Tier, and you can contact him on the main page there. John Fee built quite a few gas forges in the past and may be one of the single most practical and competent men you will ever meet, if you want to go that route. In any event, he should be able to put you in touch with someone for your fuel needs.

I just saw John fee last week,, hehe.

FB, get down to the museum and load up on some of our good coal. We buy it from Reboy supply, which is the only other coal supply'r in NY short of Syracuse.

-Andrei

Mr. Thomas, Yes I am aquainted with the NYSDB and have sent in a membership application. I attended the last meeting of the Genesse chapter which was in September. The July and August meetings were up in the air as to wheather they would happen or not as after several years of meetings held at the local BOCEES campus, that venue will no longer be available to the group. Too bad as this was the perfect settup, the group had its own building with eight forging stations. It seems there is a new administration whom are all of the idea that they don't like the notion of blacksmithing on the BOCEES campus(liability I suppose). So no July meeting, no August meeting and September's was held at one member's place of business- a railing fabricator's shop in the area. The Genesee chapter is looking for a new home. Also, a smith I know in the southern tier tells me there is talk of possibly forming a new chapter affiliate there. It is a long way to Corning/ Binghampton where the "Southern Tier" chapter meets. It seems there are enough smiths in the area of Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua counties to warrant starting a new chapter. We'll see. Thank you and keep on hammerin'. Dan:)

I picked up two bags of coal today at Aubachon Hardware. It is from the Blaschak Coal Corporation in Mahony PA. I went to their website and they only offer anthracite. I have emailed them for an analysis, we'll have to see if they reply. The coal in the bag doesn't look as shiny or hard as the anthracite that I've seen before, so I don't really know what it is. I am not a coal expert.:confused: I will be using some by the weekend and will let you know how it goes. It is very clean and consistent in size and no giant rocks like the stuff I'm using now, (and no small ones either:cool: ), which seems to skip the coking process and goes straight to record breaking clinkers.:mad:

edit: reply from Blaschak Premium Bituminous Smithing Coal

As Recieved / Dry

% Moisture 3.99
% Ash 9.42 / 9.81
% Sulfur .87 / .91
% Volatility 20/
BTU 13,609 14,175
BTU Moisture/Ash free 15,717
.64 lbs. Sulfur/mil BTU
6.92 lbs. Ash/mil BTU

I hope this info is useful, I do not know how widespread Aubachon is, but I am glad to have it so close by. The only other smithing coal I could find was 3.5 hours away. I believe Aubachon may even do internet sales. FWIW

Dave

For some reason this fool thing has compressed the columns together. The analysis is split into as rec'd and dry, I inserted slashes to seperate them.