I Forge Iron

Mystery Tool

HWHII

I have one of those too, because I am a plumber. It is a seat wrench.

OK,are you gonna tell us what kind of seat?
I thought it was some type of specialized wrench,like those weird looking bung wrenches the drum handlers used.I got mine in a yard sale box lot.
Then I was given the erroneous info about it being a swage/manderel.It works well for that type of stuff though,brought both copper and brass pipe back to round for me.
You`d think someone my age would know enough not to believe everything he hears. :rolleyes:

It is a seat wrench. Used to install and remove the fitting on old steam and hot water radiators. the big cast ones that stack togather and have 4 bolts going the lenght of them. The fitting have threads and a tapered seat on the OD that will not seal if damaged. ID is shaped just like the steps on the tool.

Having hammered apart many cast iron radiators for the purpose of recasting them into my ewers, I can attest to the purpose of this tool. The nipples that are screwed into the top and bottom of each section are shaped just like that tool. I can say that after a cast iron radiator has been in use for 6 or 7 decades it ain't going to just come unscrewed for fun. :blink: