I Forge Iron

One beautiful hand forged sword!

Alan DuBoff

Nice...

That's some tidy work!
Yeah, Scott Thomas does some good work, and has been doing it for a while. Not as long as some, but he seems to do enough to keep him busy.

I was fortunate to stumble across a guy like Scott in my area, it's really a treat for me to learn from him. He's also a funny guy to be around. Now I have to wait until next week to go back...:(

I hope to pick my forge up soon, and will hopefully get it put together and working within the not so distant future.

I need to forge a railroad spike knife, I'm told it's a "rite of passage", so gotta do it!;)

Hi Alan. When are you planning to be at Ardenwood Forge. I was planning to drop by this weekend. I saw Scott do an impressive demo on upsetting a thin edge (perhaps even on that sword you photographed) that was dinged accidentally. He showed ways of violating the oft-quoted 5 to 1 rule or 3 to 1 rule, illustrating it on a piece of 2x1/8 bar.

Hi Alan. When are you planning to be at Ardenwood Forge. I was planning to drop by this weekend. I saw Scott do an impressive demo on upsetting a thin edge (perhaps even on that sword you photographed) that was dinged accidentally. He showed ways of violating the oft-quoted 5 to 1 rule or 3 to 1 rule, illustrating it on a piece of 2x1/8 bar.
Funny you ask, and I was going to try to make it up on Sat., but my daughter has a piano recital. Scott said he would be there on Thur./Fri./Sat., but I'm busy on Thur./Fri.

I'll definitely be there next Tues., that's my day!:cool:

You could be right about the sword, he said he had to forge it twice because he f#@$'d it up the first time. He had another sword he forged recentely that was pretty cool, but not clean and polished like this one.

Yesterday he was banging out a flange for the bottom of his sandstone grinder, he got a beautiful wheel off craigslist and was replacing the wheel and adding a flange.

Scott is a wealth of knowledge about metal, he seems to have done his homework.

Maybe I'll meet you soon.