I Forge Iron

New member In NW Ohio

marcusb

Hi Guys!!!

First post on the forum. I have had a intrest in blacksmithing for years due to my other hobbies. Couple weeks back I came across a old beat up Hay budden(I think) #125 and a nice rivet forge. Anvil has alot!! of edge wear but a flat face so I figured it would be a good one to learn on and at a dollar a pound hard to beat. Sure would be nice to repair edges but from what I have read on the site its not really feasable. I have begun reading up on steels from books I found at the library and on blacksmithing techniques etc. So far I have learned I have a long way to go! I am picking up a couple drums this weekend to make charcoal barrels. My first project is to try and make some hardy tools then some punches. Well, better not wear out my welcome,

Marcus Bratton

You are going to Quad-State in Troy OH, Right!

I'm driving in from New Mexico to attend---it's really that good!

Also SOFA, that puts on Q-S, has had anvil repair clinics before where they will repair a damaged anvil CORRECTLY! Well worth joining up. When I lived in Columbus OH we would carpool 2 hours to SOFA meetings stopping at a fleamarket along the way.

I'll be the guy in the disreputable red hat and weather willing will wear lederhosen and an aloha shirt on Friday at Q-S in honour of RAH and PPW.

Marcus, welcome to the site. since you live in NW Ohio come on out to the Fulton county fair on sunday I will be demostrating there. We do have a blacksmithing organization here,called North west Ohio blacksmiths. SOFA is the same thing but farther south of us. Quad state is one of the biggest blacksmithing event in the U.S.A. and its in Troy, Oh.. I have been pounding iron for three years and this is the first year I'll be going and only on friday. if you need more info PM me and I'll answer back. Paul

I believe that Quad-State is the largest *annual* smithing conference. Even better you can camp on site and so save your $$$ for the wonderful tailgating of blacksmith stuff. (there are local hotels as well) And it's *cheap* to boot! The only time I missed it when I lived in OH was when I was out of the country.

http://www.sofasounds.com/conference2010/2010index.htm

Come on Down!